This Disappears When Logged In

Ball Python head swollen

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by ballpython4459, Feb 12, 2015.

1. My ball python was missing a scale on the top of his head from one of his sheds and I thought nothing of it. It began to get deeper and the wound is on the top of his head. The other day I looked in his cage and his head and face Is very swollen. What can I put on it as a disinfectant and to reduce swelling???

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If the head is swollen you need to see a good herp vet.

Midwestern Mama likes this.
  3. Could I put any disinfectant on it?

4. BrownFoundling

BrownFoundling Established Member

The infection is probably well past the stage where any topical disinfectant would help.

5. Merlin

This is not something that you should be wasting time trying to come up with home remedies for. The head swelling is a dangerous situation. There is a very real danger of the infection getting into the brain and killing the snake.

6. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

The only thing that will reduce the swelling at this point would be medication from a vet. You need to get him to a vet, asap!

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I agree with the other members that you need to take the snake to a vet asap. Can you put a photo up of the head and crop to zoom right in?
    You can apply a diluted solution of iodine; 1 (one) part iodine to 10 (ten) parts water but that will NOT clear the infection, you need antibiotics.

8. I just diagnosed that it his left side of his face that is swollen. what can i do herpcenter.jpg

9. BrownFoundling

BrownFoundling Established Member

As we have been saying, get him to a vet. That is what you can and should do.

10. i am responding to murrindindi but thanks i know i need to take him to a vet i was just asking about other peoples opinions on it..

11. Merlin

Opinions are not going to change the facts.
    If you know that you need to take him to the vet, why are you not taking him to the vet?

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks for the pic, but I still cannot see anything obvious in terms of swelling or an injury on the top of the head, can you take another photo and crop it to zoom right in the affected area/s?
    Is there a problem in taking the animal to a vet (lack of money/other)?
    Have you seen inside the animals mouth very recently, or noticed anything unusual such as discharge from the mouth (as in the jaws are wet much of the time), or traces of blood when the snakes eats (is it still eating), as those symptoms can be a sign of stomatitis (mouthrot)?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  13. It's the face area that is woolen and it just swelled up to make his head look bigger. He is still eating fine and there is no discharge. The closest vet is 3 hours away so I just wanted to see if this was treatable before i made the trip out there. Also only one of his eyes is blue as if he is going into shed. One eye is blue the other eye is regular colr. The blue eye is on the side where the swollen cheek is.

14. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

If there`s an infection you need antibiotics, a vet is the only choice you have, the longer you wait the more serious it could become. Any decent vet should be able to administer medication even if they`re not that experienced with reptiles, and they can very easily get opinions from other more experienced vets, even if they were on the other side of the world (via the internet).
    When I said "discharge" I meant saliva (the mouth will look wet, as in water on it).
    Can you crop that pic and zoom in to where the scale came off and the swelling is?

15. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Snakes don't just lose scales during a shed. It sounds like he may have had some rub mess up his face (a few of my snakes have had similar problems int he past.)

Infections from it are quite common, but easy to treat. If you catch it LONG BEFORE is gets to this stage, you can usually prevent it from progressing in the first place.

Almost any vet can calculate dosage for a few shots of antibiotic for a snake. Common ones are amakacin, ceftazidime, tylan, and baytril. They should be widely available through your vet. Chances are, he will give one intramuscular dose in office while you watch, and send you home with a bottle and a few needles to give doses as prescribed for a few weeks.

If all he has is a simple infection, he really should just need a few shots...

16. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

You say he is now eating fine. What is it that you are feeding him?

17. Ft small rats