This Disappears When Logged In

Ball Python Has Not Eaten In Over A Month

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Kells, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Kells

Kells Member

So I got a Ball Python at Petsmart about a month ago and they told me that it hadn't eaten in about two weeks. So I gave it a week to adjust and get use to the environment and then tried to feed it. I have tried everything I could think of and tried to avoid force feeding all together. But I have tried feeding three times now since I have had it and I am concerned with the fact that it is not eating. It mostly spends its time either hanging out by the heating pad or curled up in the water dish. I don't know what's going on an it looks dry, if that makes any sense. Someone please help me. I have been doing tons of research but I am at a total loss :(

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Ball pythons are notorious for not eating. If the snake was healthy when it decided to stop eating, it can go months without prey. They do it all the time in the wild. If the snake is soaking in the water dish I would lean toward the snake is preparing to possibly shed, since it looks "dirty" and would become a very dull color. I would also inspect to make sure it doesn't have mites. Mites are tiny little bugs that will be crawling on him. They are parasitic and feed on the snakes blood. Check around the snakes eyes. If the snakes eyes turn grey, it is shedding. Don't force feed. Force feeding is an absolute last resort and can cause more harm than good.

TJOHNSON722 likes this.
  3. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Well-Known Member

If your snake isn't loosing weight, no need to panic yet. Make sure that it has a moist place to hide, a dry place to hide (that is warm), small prey (they love African Soft-furs), and that they aren't in a busy or loud part of the house. Make sure that your snake is warm enough.

Yes, I agree with the above, make sure it doesn't have mites, isn't about to shed, and doesn't have a parasite problem.

I hope it starts eating soon. Best of luck!

TJOHNSON722 likes this.
  4. Kells

Kells Member

So My husband checked it out and said that I didn't look like mites. Thank you for all your help. I will maybe try feeding in a couple of days. :)

5. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

What are your temperatures, humidity, and how are you measuring? Any hiding places for him? Are his lights on a cycle? Also, what are you trying to feed him?

In addition to the above suggestions with mites, shedding, etc I would suggest checking the temps, humidity and if they are ok, there are no visible mites on the snake, and he doesnt shed soon then leave him be for a little while. If a snake doesnt eat I usually dont try to feed again for another 2 weeks at least.

With the food thing, if he is used to eating live and your trying to feed frozen thawed, he will NOT eat it. Ball pythons are the hardest to switch over to frozen thawed (if thats the issue).

I would seriously question anything a pet store told you. Anyone off the streets can get a job there and just make stuff up to get a sale or whatever. Post your temps, humidity, cage decor, etc and we can go from there also.

ferasaeva and Darkbird like this.
  6. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

In addition to what TJOHNSON722 mentioned, how often have you been trying to feed? Anything more than once a week will stress these guys out and generally make the issue worse. So NO handling, and don't attempt another feeding for at least a week, two as was suggested above is probably better.

TJOHNSON722 likes this.
  7. ferasaeva

ferasaeva Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if someone mentioned this but when my ball python wasn't eating I offered him much smaller meals then he'd used to and he downed them right away. Right now I'm moving him up to where he should be slowly. I'm not sure why it worked, but ball pythons are funny so it's worth a shot :p.

8. ferasaeva

ferasaeva Well-Known Member

I second this. My pet store lied to me about his feeding and it caused many problems. They said he was fed F/T but it's obvious he was fed live due to his scars and never wanting F/T. Luckily I switched him and he is doing well but pet stores can really fudge things up.

TJOHNSON722 likes this.