This Disappears When Logged In

Ball Python Feeding

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by robg08, Jan 18, 2016.

1. robg08

robg08 Member

Hey everyone, I recently acquired a ball python estimating him to be about 2 1/2- 3 yrs old. He is about 2-2 1/2 foot long but not ver thick in the body. The people I got him from said they only feed him once a month. he's very docile never tried to strike at us or anything so I don't think he's underfed by any means I'm just not sure.

we had snakes when I was younger and I remember feeding them at least twice a month. my question is, is he around the right size for his age and what is typically the proper feeding ritual? Every week, every other week? And how big our y'alls ball pythons?
    Thanks for any help, just want to make sure he's healthy! FB_IMG_1452639920796.jpg FB_IMG_1452639940035.jpg IMAG4138.jpg

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Hi. He looks a bit thin, but not bad. As for size relative to age, it really depends more on how they are fed. If you can give us his weight, we can get a better idea. Either way, I would go with weekly feedings for a while if he will take them. Then you can back down to every two weeks if you want. And at 3yrs, my females are usually around 1800+ grams and over 3', males tend to be a little smaller. I also usually only feed the males every 2 weeks, unless they are coming off of a breeding season, when most won't eat anyway. The females get fed weekly most of the time, but that is because of their being bred.

3. robg08

robg08 Member

Thanks man, I fed him last night for the second week in a row. He took the mouse quick so I'm assuming he was hungry. I'm gonna take your advice and feed every week for a month or so and see if he slows down and starts to refuse a meal. Then I'll start Every two weeks. My next question is on the size of the mice. I'm currently feeding him the small frozen rodents. It looks like it is a mouthful for him so I'm nervous about bumping up to the medium sized mice. However the small ones don't really leave a noticeable bump after it gets into his belly. Any suggestions? I wi try and weigh him tonight and see what he's at.

Again, thanks for the help!

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The snake is definitely on the small side and a bit thin.
    You are underfeeding. You have fallen falling victim to a common mistake. The size of the snake's mouth has nothing to do with how big the feeder should be. The way to gauge is to get something a bit bigger around than the snake's body at its widest point, That snake should be on small rats from what I can see. Can you post a photo of the snake alongside a dollar bill for comparison?

5. robg08

robg08 Member

I will post a size comparison when I get home after work.

6. robg08

robg08 Member

Here are some size comparison photos. Sorry for the blurry photography, dealing with crappy lighting in my room. IMAG4154.jpg IMAG4149.jpg IMAG4152.jpg IMAG4147.jpg

7. Merlin

Yes that guy definitely can take a small rat. And that will fill him out more as rats have more meat to them for the size than mice. I would go weekly feeding until he fills out.

8. robg08

robg08 Member

Alright, thank you for your help. I will get him on small rats this week.

9. Merlin

It's always amazing when you see what that little head can swallow! I used to have people come by on feeding day just to watch!

10. robg08

robg08 Member

Yeah, I'm interested to see how easy it is for him. As a new owner I'm just afraid of him trying to swallow something too big and getting hurt. I guess I need to give them more credit to how amazing they really are.

feeding day is the favorite day around our house. Can't wait to get him bulked up and healthy.

11. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Since I just now had a chance to get back to this, I'll just second everything Merlin said.

robg08 likes this.
  12. Merlin

13. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

If you want to see something really impressive, take a look at this video of an egg-eating snake. :D

robg08 likes this.
  14. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

When my baby BP's come out of the egg, they start directly on F/T young rats. An adult ball can easily take down a medium or large rat without problems.

As to how often I feed Ball Pythons, if the snake is young, ill, or recovering from disease or breeding, I feed weekly, or more, as needed. Pretty much any time their body condition might be considered sub-par.

If the snake is an adult with a healthy body weight, I feed every two weeks.

Darkbird likes this.