This Disappears When Logged In

Ball Python enclosure (Monty)

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by BlackJack, Aug 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Here's Monty's home. The pics were taken without the sliding doors on the front to minimize the glare.
    The dimensions are 4' x 2' x 2' (LWH)
    I wanted to post these for diggy415 to show my tip-safe waterbowl set up. I have the smaller, clear plastic container inside the bigger blue one, so if any water spills, it doesn't soak the substrate. Also it makes it A LOT less messy to change the water: the blue one stays half-buried in the substrate and I just remove the clear one and rinse it out and refill the water.
    The big wooden hide in the right front corner is new: Monty is outgrowing his favorite rubber knee-pad hides. I think I'll have to put one of the knee pads under the wooden hide to encourage him to use it. We'll see if he likes it or not!
    The box in the right back corner is the moist hide 1/3 full of moist sphagnum moss. It's a simple kitchen tuppaware-type box with just one good-sized hole cut in the short side for him to get in and out of. There is no need for more air holes, as that would reduce the humidity. It's covered in contact paper to make it darker inside and look a bit nicer outside. When he's in shed, he seems to like it dark.
    Here's the front view (taken a bit from above)
    [​IMG]

And here's a side-angle view:
    [​IMG]

Monty loves his branch! He used it a lot more when he was younger but he still likes to climb all over it at night! :)

Thanks for looking!

2. jmherp

jmherp Elite Member

Great pics, looks great. And i LOVE that sculpture thing in the background on the floor...

3. BlackJack

Thanks, that's "The Guardian" -- kind of a weird dragon like thing sculpted out of driftwood by a French artist I met. He does some great stuff, but this was my favorite. (I'm still trying to find his card so I can arrange to see some more of his work.)
    PS -- Monty and Talyn LOVE to climb on it too! :)

4. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

I really like the enclosure! I think Monty will too :)

The stump is a hide, isn't it? I really like it. I wonder if I could find one somewhere....

I like the branch too...it looks sturdy. The one we bought for Spectre last year it too tippy so he can't use it anymore now that he's heavier. I haven't found a replacement I really like yet except for a long bendable rubber branch, but it's low...not something he can do any real climbing on.

5. Ryan

Ryan Elite Member

looks very nice, monty is a lucky snake :D

6. BlackJack

Thanks everyone. Juliane, yes the stump is a hide: actually it is some kind of fancy fruit dish or something. It is a real stump that has been hollowed out to make a flat bottomed bowl. I thought it would look nice turned upside down (or right side up if you think of a real stump) and used as a hide.
    I got it at a specialty shop in San Diego, but I have to tell you it was NOT cheap!! (I think I paid over $70 for it, so Monty had better appreciate it!!)
    The branch is glued and screwed onto a piece of plexiglass to hold it upright. It's very sturdy and I like the way it looks.
    Well, time to put Monty in his new home... fingers crossed!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.