This Disappears When Logged In

Ball python constantly moving... hungry?

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by replover, Apr 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. replover

replover Elite Member

Hi! My ball python is constantly moving around, climbing up to the top of the tank along the rail of the sliding doors, slithering around the ground moving about etc. I would, from my readings, think it is in "hunt" mode and is hungry. However, the pet shop had informed me that the snake was just fed on 48 hours ago. I know a lot of pet shop people tell lies, but I believe this one because he seemingly has the snakes separted into different cages, those that refused to eat, those that were fed at certain times and then were labelled as such. If this was a lie it would have to be really elaborate scheme. And the caretaker of the herps there confirmed the last feeding time to me too. I believe them.

So is it hungry already? Shouldnt it eat only once every 7 days or so? My girlfriend says I am being over zealous and that it is just exploring its new surroundings. But I dunno.

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

is she flicking her tongue alot?

3. replover

replover Elite Member

I watch her and sometimes she does but other times it doesn't. But yes definitely at times it does.

4. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

If you just got her and the tank is a new surrounding for her I would say it's a normal stress from the move/ getting used to the new tank period.

5. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

tongue flicking is a sign of hunting, she may just be exploring her new home too :D...but if its rapid tongue flicking for long periods shes definatley hunting! i would wait till next week to feed her :)

6. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

The general rule is to not feed it for a week right after you get it, the snake is most likely just checking out it's new home.

7. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

My Ball Python does that every night. When he was younger and new, he did it a lot during the day too.
    It does not mean he's hunting or hungry. He's just exploring his new surroundings and checking out his territory.
    Do not try to feed him for another week; he needs to digest the last meal well and get used to his new home.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

He's checking out the new home,..and looking for a way out!
    This is an almost constant exercise with snakes. I can feed both of mine and return them to the tank and they are on the move wandering around for several hours. They will also be out the very next night prowling.
    Feed once a week.

9. petsareusrescue

petsareusrescue Elite Member

ball python

How big is the snake?
    Is it a baby?
    Do you have a hide box?
    Warm side, cool side of tank.
    Please send more info and if possible a picture:confused: :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.