This Disappears When Logged In

Ball Python BURN!!!!

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by Wyan, Feb 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wyan

Wyan Member

I have recently taken a ball python into my own care that appears to have a very nasty looking burn on his underside. I have set him up in a clean cage with paper towels for substrate, a cardboard hide box, clean water and a heat lamp. I have asked my good friend(very knowledgable with herps) for help and he told me to clean the cage daily, and apply antibiotics daily. I am currently using neosporin. I was just asking if there is anything else i can do that wont run me into the ground, $$$, and if i am doing things correct. I really appriciate it, Wyan.

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

You should consider bringing him to the vet..i hope everythig goes well with him!

3. venus

venus Founding Member

I would say a vet visit also, the skin may need debriding, cleaning and he will probably give you some silvadene, also cleaning or soaking daily in povidone-iodine will help.

4. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm with everyone else, you should definitely get it into a vet asap. If you can't afford it you should probably turn it over to a rescue who can afford to get him healthy again. It is in the best interests of the snake.

5. Dee

Dee Elite Member

At the very least, post some pictures and let us see how bad the burns are, but the girls are right, he really should be seen by a vet.

6. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

Neosporin is not for severe burns and will only help keep the damaged area clean. It will do little for the burn itself. The problem with the burn itself is that it may be infectious. The only way to know this is to see a vet. If the burn is infected, you will require additional meds to help abolish the infection.

The iodine baths will also help with keeping the area clean. That is crucial to help prevent a future infection from arising.

I too suggest a vet. It will cost you some money, but that comes with taking in an injured reptile.

7. Dee

Dee Elite Member

It's also well worth the investment if you actually want to keep him.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You also need to consider that a burn may have damaged the organs under the skin as well. What you see on the outside may just be the very least of the problem.
    Burns are not anything to trifle with. The snake needs to see a vet.

9. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Yep I agree, it would be good if you could post some pictures so we could see how bad this burn looks.

Well done to you for taking this snake in, and I know that you don't want to shell out lots of money, but I'm with everyone else in that you really should get the snake to a vet to be on the safe side; as Merlin said, the burn could have damaged organs that you cannot see from just the burn itself, and at the least the vet can prescribe antibiotics or treatment for the burn that the snake needs.

Re. your enclosure, you are doing good but make sure that the heater is covered with some kind of cage so that the snake cannot get near it and be further damaged.

Good luck, let us know how it goes, and as Rich said, unfortunately the treatment needed and the accompanying cost comes with taking in an injured animal; where did you get the snake from? I hope we can help and I hope the snake comes through this ok.

10. Wyan

Wyan Member

Thank you

The owner who I got it from said he would front the bill for any solutions, I will continue the soakings and cleanings but my problem is finding a reliable vet. My locals SUCK at reptiles (speaking from experience), I live in the Sacramento Area, If anyone knows of a vet close by please let me know (address and a phone number if possible) Once again thank you guys, this site has helped me through some tough ones. About a picture, I need to borrow a dig cam and that will take a couple days but i will keep posts up. I am hoping for the best.

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

12. Dee

Dee Elite Member

Good on the previous owner to take care of the bills, not many would do that.

Keep us posted on how he's doing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.