This Disappears When Logged In

Ball Python Breathing Question.

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by jadewtch, Dec 28, 2014.

1. jadewtch

jadewtch Well-Known Member

I just got my BP a little over a week. She (no idea if it's actually a she) is full grown or at least that was what I was told and I'm pretty sure that's right. She's eating med size frozen/thawed rats no problem and just had one yesterday, as well as on the day I got her since the Reptile Rescue people I got her from said that she was due for food. I'm concerned because the shed around her head and eyecaps isn't coming off. I'm also worried because I noticed today that she is making a wheezing noise when she breathes. I'm open to any advice anyone can give, but I will mention that I'm having some trouble regulating her temps. When I put the heating pad on the bottom of the tank it's getting too warm, but when I have it on the side it's not getting warm enough. I've been trying other things so I'm sure that will work itself out eventually. Thanks for any advice you can give.

2. jadewtch

I should clarify. When I say that she is making a wheezing noise when she breathes, I mean she's breathing loud every so often. She doesn't seem to be struggling or having a hard time breathing as far as I can tell. I'm thinking it might be related to the shed because it's a bit like what I sound like when I have a cold. There is no mucus or mites or anything that I can tell that would signal a problem.

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

With her having had a problematic shed, it is quite possible that she has a bit of shed still stuck in her nostrils that is causing a wheezing or whistling kind of sound.

You can try tying her up in a pillow case with a wet towel, and she may get the eye caps off herself. If not, don't fret too much, and just make sure she has plenty of humidity at the next shed, so she can get it off on her own, and the problem should resolve itself.

Try and boost her temps - warm side should be 90-95ºF, cool side around 80º. Get a digital thermometer with a probe to help you keep track, and a thermostat to help control the heat mat.

What substrate are you using? I find that putting extra layers of something over the heat mat help disperse the heat better so it doesn't for hot spots. Cage carpet (or indoor/outdoor carpet) is particularly good for this, but ceramic tile works as well. That may help keep it from getting too hot, while still keeping it warm.

4. jadewtch

I"m using aspen bedding. I've got it about 3 inches thick so that it's not getting too hot against her scales. I've raised the tank about an inch and that seems to have fixed the problem by letting more of the heat out below. (crosses fingers) She was directly on the carpet so it was pretty insulated down there.