This Disappears When Logged In

Baking Wood

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Amadeous, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Amadeous

Amadeous Elite Member

Hey everyone, Im trying to decorate my new chameleons enclosure and I don't feel like paying 15 dollars for a branch from the local reptile store. So, as the title says; Id like to go out and find a nice branch and just trim it and bake it myself and save the extra bucks. Has anyone done this? and how did you do it? thanks for the help!

2. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

I've baked a few branches in my time. One thing to consider is space and smell... Roasting branch can have some special odors :p

And to some extent cooties can potentially spore up and survive the baking process. I have never had an issue myself but it the topic has always come up.

I bake at 250 for as long as it takes to charring the edges or twigs. The point is low and slow for as long as you can take it. Most cooties are dead after 170F (read as spores can survive this) so the out side temp needs to be a bit higher and it takes a long time for the heat to penetrate to the center.

3. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

I've also soaked branches in water for a week before baking and had the help of steam "cook" the branches. It seems to help but I'm still on the fence on that one...

4. Amadeous

Amadeous Elite Member

Sounds good but im way to impatient to wait a week for soaking :) lol. Just after i posted this thread i found a link on this site for baking wood so im trying it out. Its 250 degrees and i have them sitting in there for 2 and a half hours. Thanks for the ideas though!