This Disappears When Logged In

Bad Zoo (pictures)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dragoness, Jan 28, 2011.

1. jeepguy

jeepguy Elite Member

So what is the name of the zoo? I am guessing it is a smaller private one.

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Central Florida Zoo - it is indeed a small zoo. When I had my first tour, I was surprised at how small it was. I grew up with larger zoos, like the Detroit zoo, that took days to discover. You could see everything this zoo has to offer in a couple of hours.

3. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

They would love the publicity alright. It would just be one more notch in thier gun handle against us reptile keepers.

4. HDreptiles

HDreptiles Elite Member

My fiancee just suggested the Better Business Bureau. Or you can try the local government in that area. You might turn up nothing, but then again you never know what reptile lover may be sitting in a seat of power.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

True - this is Florida.

Better business bureau would just give them negative ratings. It would take a while for that to add up.

I sent a message to Melissa Kaplan requesting suggestions, and describing the situation.

I am half tempted to try and send a news agency the pictures, ad get it spread far and wide. Not sure what I could accomplish with that, but options are slim, and SOMETHING needs done.

6. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

I was definately not aware that the aspca dosent support reptile keeping. Kind of infuriates me, actually, I mean, whats the big deal. I do think certain animals should require permits, but to totally not support it just blows my mind!
    There are countless dogs and cats mistreated, and some that are a threat to society, due to peoples ignorance, reptiles are no different!

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I got hopeful when I found something called "animal rights foundation of Florida" but they look an awful lot like PETA in disguise.

8. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Well, there is a difference between animal rights and animal welfare... Although some people tend to use them interchangeably! That makes it harder to figure out which group to go to in a situation like this.

If they really mean animal rights, they generally will be very much like PETA. People shouldn't have pets, the term pet is degrading, no farms, etc. etc.

9. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I found this pretty funny, Seems like the zoo are allowed to keep but lack the knowledge to properly care for them!
    News for Florida animal advocates

Maybe you could contact this guy!

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Well, Usark got back to me, and I'm glad they took the time to respond. I didn't expect they could help, but was hoping they maybe had some contacts or suggestions. Mostly, they just advised persistence. I'm half tempted to contact AZA again, and ask why nothing was done. Not that it would accomplish anything, and all I would get for my efforts (if anything) is excuses.

11. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

This truely saddens me. You would think that someone or some organization could do something about this situation and other situations like this around the country. Please keep us updated on the outcome of these poor animals and if there is anything we could do about this. Maybe even start your own donation for heating, lighting, etc. Anything at this point would probably help. My heart goes out to you for all your doing to try to help them. Most would probably turn the other cheek.

12. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

Your reporting of this saddens me, angers me, shocks me, and surprises me. Well maybe I'm not too surprised, everywhere one goes, not just here, but elsewhere in the world, this kind of thing goes on, and despite regulations, many businesses get away with it.
    I don't have any experience with the ASPCA but in England, if one contacted the RSPCA, they would have to pay a visit. If they were refused, they would go away and return with police accompanying them.

I just found this on Wikipedia -
    Looks like there are quite a few federal departments you could contact.
    From reading it, it looks like most places fall through the cracks (gaping holes really) due to lack of funds and manpower to provide sufficient oversight.

By you starting this thread I can only imagine how much you are hurting at seeing this go on. Perhaps you could take a video camera to work with you and then send the resulting footage to news organisations and /or any animal rights charities you can think of
    Good luck to you. :)

I just found a link for an organisation called Mercy For Animals, they may be worth contacting.
    http://www.mercyforanimals.org/about_mfa.asp

13. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

You could contact your local Department of Agriculture or OSHA, like Dragonflies posted. If the animals are being cared for poorly, it risks the spread of disease among the animals and a cross over to people. The Department of Agriculture and OSHA should be at least required to check on a claim if it presents a safety or health risk.

14. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

All of those organizations do regularly inspect - each has their own 'territory' so to speak. I know one (USDA I think) only bothers about the mammals and birds. Inverts fall under one but not the other, Reptiles are largely unregulated, period. The only regulating commission I know of for Reptiles is the FWC. They only regulate what you can and cannot have without permits, and only really stick their noses into the animal care standards when it comes to the animals who require permits to own (ROC's, Venomous, and SSC's, or class I or II restricted wildlife). Everything else falls through the cracks. And FWC only cares about housing. They don't get picky over heating, diet, nutrition, etc.

All of our permits are current (under a generic permit from the whole zoo). The only animal in our department which requires a permit to own is the American Alligator (meets FWC standards). They managed to lose one somehow, too. They LOST an alligator. Thankfully, it's a native species. The alligator in question escaped through a sizable hole in it's enclosure, that all of my bosses managed to miss when they were inspecting it, the day the alligator was acquired.

I'll look into the other ones you posted, and see if they have any legal standing, or at least suggestions. So far, all my attempts to contact people or organizations have gotten nothing productive. The only one who even bothered to reply was USARK - and they informed me that it is normal for zoos to lag 10-15 years behind the private sector when it comes to reptile care... Depressing! They advised me to just be persistent, but there was nothing they could think of other than that.

15. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

There's always Youtube, something like that could easily go viral.

16. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

MFA looks to be mostly agricultural based.

I need a legal leg to stand on Youtube will not provide it for me. It would create bad press, and maybe legal problems for me. I need someone official to investigate it (because any state or federal laws would trump the zoo's contract agreements with it's employees prohibiting them from sharing such pictures.)