This Disappears When Logged In

Bad Zoo (pictures)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dragoness, Jan 28, 2011.

1. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

I agree with this. Before I got my fire bellies, the person at Petco told me they could be housed on aquarium gravel with no land mass... a week later the tank was changed to all land with a small bowl, so I was told I could make the habitat out of regular potting soil and loose reptile moss.
    That led me to seek advise from outside sources before I made my original tank, and thank God I did!

And I used this site to build a GOOD temporary home for the tree frogs, adding clean greenery/branches every day. If I wouldn't of done so and gone off of what I saw at stores and even zoos, my pets would be in dangerously poor health and maybe even dead.

2. andys3ballpythons

andys3ballpythons Elite Member

well, the wife is wanting another female beardie, i would love another boa, i miss my iguana, blue toungue skinks are awesome looking, always wanted a monitor, well just bring em my way, i got heat and uvb, poor creatures, would love to make the drive to florida and raise a comotion at that "zoo" i think ill go vomit

3. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Just because it isn't uncommon doesn't mean it is right. Addictions to narcotics isn't uncommon, but should you do it? Sand in their cages is putting those animals at a HUGE risk to their lives. Risk of impaction as well as eye infections and the sort. IT isn't a matter of IF but rather a matter of WHEN. :( Poor things.

4. Anthony14

Anthony14 Elite Member

I know, but the sand didn't really upset me all too much, the frog cages really ****ed me off, aswell as the triple cage with the Beardie and Skink with no access to UVB or heat. Also, that's the first time I have ever seen an Iguana on sand.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I'd venture a guess, and say most of the regular member on HC know more about any given herp that that department does. I'd also venture a guess, and say that they take far better care of theirs than the zoo does.

Oh - here is our new baby Cyclura (C. cornuta cornuta, I think) in his cage. He has a larger version which is precisely the same, minus the newspaper. At least he has a heat lamp, but the cage is all mesh (even the floor)

The one we had before him had consistent stuck shed. we had volunteers trying to soak and bathe him to get it off, and layers as thick as leather would peel off. They fed him (Previous Rhino iguana) canned dog food 3x a week, and romaine lettuce. Once in a while, we got lucky and got some collard or kale, which he hardly ate.

Attached Files:

6. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

That looks like my extra dog crate! Geesh! No room poor guy. :(
    And his diet *rolls eyes* is pathetic. They shouldn't have animals. Is it just the reptiles/amphibians they have a problem understanding keeping? I just don't get it!
    You must be so frustrated.

7. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

I am just sick ! Can you please provide the name and address of the facility so that we can complain?

8. Flint

Flint Elite Member

I am by no means an expert keeper, but I have done enough research to be utterly appalled by these pictures. My life goal is to become a curator of herpetology at a major zoo/wild animal park, and if I do that I will absolutely enforce a strict policy of excellent husbandry. Treat each animal as if it were a beloved pet.

I am with missabrat, I will HAPPILY write several detailed angry letters to the right people if you would like Dragoness. I don't want to get you in trouble, but if there is anything we can do I think we should.

9. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

Let's all chip in and buy the place, the first "Herp Center Zoo". I've been wanting to move to Florida forever.

10. Flint

Flint Elite Member

hahaha I like that idea better :p It's only money, we'll make more right?

11. HDreptiles

HDreptiles Elite Member

The conditions these wonderful animals are kept in are absolutely ridiculous. I would never keep my own animals in conditions such as these. I may be a little lacking in my husbandry skills, but I keep researching and am (hopefully) getting better. I recently took my leopard geckos off sand and put them on newspaper. Not aesthetically appealing, but much safer. I would love to get those animals in proper cages or out of the zoos custody. They do not deserve them. Also, in the process of keeping them in "shelters" such as those, they are spawning a whole generation of bad animal keepers. What will kids think when they get older and keep their animals in such confines? "Well I saw it done that way at the zoo." Disgusting. I am in agreement with all the members who said they would write letters. I would be happy to pen in a complaint.

12. andys3ballpythons

andys3ballpythons Elite Member

Just let that zoo know that your fellow herpers will gladly take all those animals and give them good homes. I would also be willing to write or call do what ever i can to help.

13. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

As to how the other animals are kept - I do not know enough about parrots, Kinkajous, etc to venture to say whether their keeping is satisfactory or not. Some, I'm sure, are well below par. But I really don't know enough to say for sure. Many of the arboreal animals outside (Kinkajous, Opossums, Owl,) are kept in steel-mesh cells with concrete floors, and no substrate. Being arboreal, they have perches, nest boxes, etc off the ground. I know that makes it easy to clean, because everything is hosed into a drain each morning. One of the other keepers (who also quit) said it looked like the puppy mills you hear about when they get raided.

I have voiced complaints to anyone in that zoo who would listen - my department, other departments, etc. Most people just told me to pipe down, and mind my own business, or shrugged and ignored it, because they were dealing with similar drama in their own department. I'm interested in who I should express my concerns to in such a way something would be done. Clearly, nothing is going to come from within the zoo.

I am still waiting to hear back from the local herp society. I am not even asking them directly for help, merely for suggestions. I have also sent a line to USARK (though I don't honestly know what I can expect.) Any fruitful suggestion... would be nice. I'm not sure there is one out there though.

I considered contacting FWC, because they do the permits for animals requiring them. The only downside is, many of the animals in that department do not require permits. Those that do require them have them (under a general permit for the whole zoo.) There are loopholes for keeping any animal in less-than satisfactory enclosures, if you label them as a rehab animal. Our department has slapped that label on several of their animals in order to utilize that loophole (for the flying squirrel and crow, for example.) Both animals are fine and healthy (Squirrel is missing a toe, but in no way notices. Crow has a few feathers which do not grow on his wings, but it is neither noticeable, or does it effect him. But, loopholes are loopholes.)

There are no enclosure requirements for animals not requiring a permit to own, which means that most of those animals have no laws protecting them.

14. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I'd love to suggest re-homing the animals, but alas, It would come to nothing. They are up on their high horse about the fact they are a zoo. We (us here at HC) are "Just Hobbyists" (Insert derogatory tone.) We do not know what we are talking about.

15. HDreptiles

HDreptiles Elite Member

How about the ASPCA? They might be able to step in. Or some federal branch of something.

16. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I don't know that the ASPCA has any legal standing, nor do they particularly watch out for reptiles. They are more of a cat & dog type organization.

17. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Might be a long shot, but why dont you email mellissa kaplan.
    She seems to have some pull in the herp community and has rehabbed many a reptile.

Melissa Kaplan's Herp and Green Iguana Information Collection

And I would say, definately call the aspca, they have definately rescued exotic species in the past, usually bears, tigers n such but Im sure they would love the publicty.

18. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

The problem with the ASPCA is their view on reptiles is that no one should have them and they are miserable in captivity. :/ Now, they aren't quite as bad as peta of course, but it would still be a frustrating blow if they were to step in only to report more 'proof' that people shouldn't have reptiles!

But someone does need to step in, and of all of the big animal groups I'd pick them over peta or hsus :/ but first I'd talk to reptile rescues.

But the biggest issue is of course, that these animals are not on regular display. So it makes it a tad more tricky.

What is important is that they get help though, somehow. Someone knowledgeable needs to step in now that you have to go! Frustrating situation.

19. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I might try this - she might know how I can go about getting something done about this.

20. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

You know this is very true. I happen to have a new Rescue that has started to advertise of thier existance, that is realy close to me. He has been on face book putting up pictures of things they have been affiliated with and one was a reptile show and tell at our infamouse Grout Museum in Waterloo, were they showed an Iguana in a Clear rubbermaind tub that had nothing in it but sand and food and water bowl. To say the least I let him have it on that one. He came back saying it was not one of his, but my point was he was showing it on his site with nothing being said.
    I also offered my assistance with any Iguana's he would happen to take in, but Have not heard from him since.

So just as you said Merlin " beginner keeper will look at the way the enclosures are set up, think its appropriate, and set theirs up in the same way."

Darn people!!:(