This Disappears When Logged In

Bad shed! please help!

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by Python John, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Python John

Python John Elite Member

Help. my carn snake just had a really bad shed, only the head had shed off, including the eye caps. So i took a ten gallon tank, put water in it to give him a bath, and then wiped him down with a damp/wet paper towel, but nothing! no other part of the shed had came off, and then she pooed in the water, and i realized part of it was still like, hanging out, so i picked it up ,and placed it back in her tank, and i didnt see it there anymore, so i guess it came out in the water.

the humidity was good, and then when in shed cycle it was higher, and there was water, and the substrate was good, had things to rub up against, then the temp was fine.

i dont get that it was bad...

what should i do????? :confused:

2. LouEvil

LouEvil Member

Hmm, it sounds like there should've been no problems with the shed. What kind of caging are you using? If you are using a screen-top tank, these do not hold humidity very well at all.

I recommend soaking the snake in lukewarm water and some paper towels (for the snake to rub on) for a couple of hours until the shed comes off. Make sure the tip of the tail comes off, as necrosis can follow if it does not come off completely. If the soaking does not work, Vitamin-E oil concentrate works wonders. Hope this helps. :)

3. Python John

Python John Elite Member

i have her in a screen enclosure, but the humidity was well, i had a humidity gauge in there.

i had her soaking for a while, and she didnt seem to like water at all, i put the top onto the ten gallon so she wouldnt get out, then she defecated, and i put her back into her enclosure to clean it out

she shed her head today at sometime, so, how quickly will necrosis happen?

ill try again in a moment

4. LouEvil

LouEvil Member

It usually takes a while for necrosis to set it, so I don't think you have anything to worry about at this point. What kind of humidity gauge are you using? I find that the digital hygrometers work very well.

Also, when you are soaking the snake, be sure not to put too much water in with the snake. If you force the snake to swim the whole time it is soaking it may become exhausted and drown.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

6. Python John

Python John Elite Member

well, the end part of his tail, well, actually, from the middle of his stomach back, came off, and now there is only the middle of his stomach, to the beginning of his neck

nevermind about the poop thing, i wasnt seeing it correctly.

and, i gave hi the bath(in the previous posts i was talking about)

and like, none came offf then, then just a lil while ago, i went up to check on him, and a lot had came off in his cage, then i gave him another bath, with two washclthes, and the hardest thing in his tank to rub up against, and a lot more came off, so im hoping that if i go back up in a like, hour, then all of it will have came off in the tank

(by the way, a snakes skin is SOO soft when it is freshly shed)

7. Python John

Python John Elite Member

and by the way louEvil, i am using a digital one, i didnt put too much water in, and my snake didnt drown, hes still alive, but ill make sure that he wont drown if i have to do this again, which i hope i dont

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Yes and it can very easily be damaged. Be very gentle in handling. Next time you see the snake go "blue" try misting the cage a couple of times a day. Or just place a moist hide in.

9. Python John

Python John Elite Member

yes i know it can be easily damages, i just touched it for like a second to direct his head back towards the cage (he was still in the tank with the water, and i was letting him get out and back into his eclosure himself,[they were right next to each other, and level] )

10. LouEvil

LouEvil Member

Don't worry, I wasn't accusing you of anything. I was just making sure the info was on the table. ;)

Anyhow, I'm glad he is doing better for you. :D

11. Python John

Python John Elite Member

well, its all good now, all the shed came off, and looks beautiful

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.