This Disappears When Logged In

Bad Rodent or Too Tight of a Squeeze??

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by teach920, Nov 6, 2011.

1. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

Ok, I know this may sound a bit naive, but is it common for a rodent to "explode" when being constricted by the snake?? I have never seen this happen before with my Luna until today, and I don't know if possibly it was a bad one, or if this just happens at times?? The prey was frozen, and I thawed it the usual way, (I use a clay container, to heat up water in the microwave, and then place the rodent in the container to basically "steam" it.) The prey was the same size as always..(thinking it was rat pups, but not positive, could have been rat fuzzy...I know it was a rat, and basically no hair at all, just a few of the fine little hairs growing on the rat itself.) The food was about 2 months old, and I picked it up at the Repticon Expo we had just a short time ago.

When the rat exploded, it mainly got on the tub, but then Luna proceeded to roll all around in it:-& I have never had to "bath" Luna before, and I'm not sure how she will handle it....I do know that I don't want to upset her stomache by attempting to now, so for right now, I plan on just using a damp washcloth to place her back in her enclosure, and hope that will suffice for now.
    Should I be worried about this being a "bad/spoiled rodent"?? or just assume that she gave it too tight of a squeeze?? (to be honest, my stomache is still trying to adjust to the "ickiness" of what I saw and I guess this post shows I'm most definitely not an "experienced" snake owner..but I'm doing my best to make sure Luna does well, and I don't want her to become sick on my account.)
    If the rat was "bad", is there anything I can do for Luna now that would help??
    Thanks for any advice

2. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

I know it happens sometimes, but I have discovered that the rodents 'explode' a bit more often if heated too quickly and too hot! Sort of..cooks them and makes their skin a little weaker..prone to.. ripping. Ew! Also happens with smaller rodents more often. I think grown up rats are just big enough their bodies are stronger. Skin on (for instance) pinkies is really thin anyway!

Nagini though sometimes will get a bit overzealous and squeeze a bit too tight no matter how good the rat is though! Yuck!

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

my Male BP "Pops" his rats on occasion, and he is the only snake of mine that does it. He also gets a bit carried away with it at times. He will usually eat the pieces too:-&

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I wouldn't have thought that your little Luna would be such a brute! ;) Let us know how her bath goes, hope that everything is fine!

5. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

My last feeding had 2 rats that exploded from constriction. Its pretty nasty and smells horrible. Both were done by ball pythons who are aggressive feeders. They squeezed too much and "pop". They ate everything but the smelled lingered for a bit.

6. teach920

Ok, reading these replies makes me feel better, and I won't be too worried about it being a "bad/spoiled" rodent. I do know she was a bit "overzealous" this time and attacked it pretty much the instant I put it in her tub, and I thinking about it, I guess it might have stayed in the container a bit longer than usual.. Luna finished eating it just fine, and is now back in her cage just lounging around...I gave her a quick wipe down when putting her in her enclosure, and that got the most noticeable pieces of rodent off of her, but I still think she will need a better "soaking/wash" once her food has digested a bit..
    Which brings me to my next question, I know that the rosy's are very prone to respiratory infections and don't do well with moisture at all, but I'm thinking as long as she is completely dried off after her soak/bath, that she will be fine..Is this correct?? or should I just leave it at the wipe-down with washcloth?
    Thanks again for the advice,

7. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

I've smelled a rotten rodent before.. You'd know!! :eek:

I don't know about the rosy's and humidity, so i'll let someone else answer that!

8. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

I have probably had that happen about 8(give or take) times and it does smell horrible. I have only had it happen a couple of times with my corns, but I have had it happen quite a bit with my ball pythons.

9. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

You can soak her, I used to soak Chaos (my Rosy) every now and then. He also liked being in the dry towel afterwards. I've never had a problem with him as long as he's dried off.

10. teach920

Thank you very much..I'll try to give Luna a good soak/wash on Tuesday or Wednesday of this week. I figure that would also be a good time to do a complete substrate change as well..I've been spot cleaning when needed, but it's been a while since I have done a full enclosure clean-out.

11. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

If you've never soaked her before, just make sure it's shallow enough for her to reach the bottom incase she doesn't like it and gets nervous. Lukewarm water is good, not too hot and not too cold. That short amount of time that she'll be soaking won't hurt her any.