This Disappears When Logged In

Bad Rescue Case... *graphic Photo*

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by uvreptilenh, Jun 4, 2015.

1. uvreptilenh

uvreptilenh Well-Known Member

Latest rescue case to come in to Upper Valley Reptile Group:

Young - believed to be female under 2yrs ball python.
    Had been sold at a Petco, owner was keeping the snake in a glass tank with only under-tank heat pad that covered entire bottom of tank with no thermostat and sand as a substrate.
    The snake endured a belly burn that covered about 2/3 it's entire underside, owner didn't "notice" the problem for nearly 3 weeks and left it untreated.
    Upon receiving the snake, it was very clear that the injury was severely infected - stinking of necrotic flesh, and she also had about 3 layers of stuck-on shed.
    Initial soaking helped to loosen some of the stuck shed. She is now on injectable antibiotics, and receiving a daily antibiotic soak and wound cream application. She is expected to make a full recovery.

This case highlights why it is SOOO IMPORTANT to research the proper habitat requirements for keeping any reptile - and for the love of all things scaly put your darn heat mats on thermostats!

Last pic was taken after only few days of veterinary treatment.

Attached Files:

kriminaal likes this.
  2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Oh my goodness, that poor snake. Ugh! Glad she's in good hands now, I hope she makes a speedy recovery.

uvreptilenh likes this.
  3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Looks like recovery is on the way, that's great.
    Some people come here looking for advice on setups and then get attitudes when we tell them what they're doing is all wrong and they will have to spend more money than what they paid for the reptile to improve it. (run-on sentence I know)
    IT'S ALL FOR A GOOD REASON
    Thanks for the pictures. They tell a vivid story.

uvreptilenh likes this.
  4. uvreptilenh

uvreptilenh Well-Known Member

You wouldn't believe some of the creatures people end up surrendering to me. I really wish people wouldn't wait so long to have their animals looked at before contacting me or a vet... it's so frustrating sometimes, but seeing the animals recover and then get into new caring homes makes it worth it.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

poor girl, I'm glad the vet is optimistic about it, that's a good sign right?

Kinda irritates me when someone says they can't afford something their animals needs. Like veterinary care. You could have skipped the costly vet visit had you set it up right to begin with. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Proper housing and supplies is a LOT cheaper than Vet care.

uvreptilenh likes this.
  6. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

WoW, that's heartbreaking. I'm glad to see she's on the road to recovery.

I have to agree with you Jenn, It truly irritates me when I overhear someone complaining that their pet is sick/injured but they don't have the time nor the funds to get the necessary care their pets need. People often forget that a pet isn't just an animal you stick in a cage or simply allow to roam in your house. A pet is an extended member of your family and as such their care and health should always be on top of the priority list.

uvreptilenh likes this.
  7. Buggy0123

Buggy0123 Established Member

I hope she has a fast recovery :)