This Disappears When Logged In

Bad news and good news

Discussion in 'Green Tree Pythons' started by BlackJack, Jun 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

The bad news is that we didn't get the baby in Paris. :(
    The import paperwork ended up being too much of a hassle and would have taken too long. (The guy in Paris didn't want to reserve her for that long either!)

The GOOD news is that we found another breeder that has baby GTPs available AND he's MUCH closer!! So we saved ourselves a horrid drive in the summer heat and the hassle of importation. :D

Our new GTP is about 3 months old and BOY is she a beauty!!! We're still going to call it Aeryn (after the Farscape character.) and hope it's a female. She's WAY too tiny to check that now.

We just got her home, so we're going take some pics now and I'll post them soon!!

2. venus

venus Founding Member

Cant wait to see her/him Andrea...The anticipation is going to kill me.

3. BlackJack

OK here she is!

I have a "pet theory" -- excuse the pun -- that female snakes are more aggressive than males. I have no official data to back up this theory, but Talyn is definitely female (as was Q) and both liked to bite a lot in the beginning.
    Monty and Crichton I believe are males and have not (yet) bitten.
    Our new girl -- according to my theory she's a girl --- bit me three times at the end of our first photo shoot today! These did not seem to be defensive (fear-induced) strikes, because with each one, she held on and seemed to be trying to swallow my knuckles and wrist! I didn't pull away because I was afraid of hurting her... the bites didn't really hurt much anyway -- just stung a bit. (I think she's hungry because her last feeding was over a week ago.)
    So, although we have no proof of sex for the last 2 snakes, I will refer to Aeryn in future posts as "she" and Crichton and Monty as "he". :p

And here she is (Enjoy!) :D

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    Here you can see how red she is along her neck!
    [​IMG][/IMG]

4. BlackJack

More pics

Here you can see really just how tiny she is, BUT how far she can open her mouth and the effects of her MANY sharp teeth!
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    This is my thumb in the picture (and I have small hands!)
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    Bite one:
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    Bites two (knuckle) and three (wrist):
    [​IMG][/IMG]

5. BlackJack

Pics of Mom and Dad

The parents were imports: probably wild-caught or captive-farmed. But they seem to be well-adjusted and docile snakes.
    First the mother: she's 4 years old and this was her first clutch (12 babies!)
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    And here's the father. He didn't want to pose:
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    And maybe just one more of little Aeryn? :D
    [​IMG][/IMG]

6. venus

venus Founding Member

WOW..I am speechless.. She is absolutely beautiful. I love the red going down her back and unlike the other one you have..No mustache, lol. Awesome Andrea, thanks.

7. BlackJack

Thank you Venus! You are VERY observant! The lack of mustache marking MUST mean she's a female, right?! ;) Wishful thinking? :rolleyes:

She looks SO tiny even compared Crichton!

8. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

AAWWW she's soo cute!Congratulations to the new baby!

9. BlackJack

Thank you Jacky! She's a feisty little thing, but we like her!

10. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

Oh my gosh! She's beautiful! I'd say I have to have one, but my husband is sitting here watching me type! :p Congratulations!!!

11. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

She's beautiful :D I'm envious. Oh man, I haven't seen Farscape in forever.

12. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

sorry to hear about the first baby but thats awesome you were able to get one closer. the parents are gorgeous and the little girl is beautiful. the close ups are wonderful. she definitely looks like a fiesty little one. its so cool the way they look totally different as babies then they do as adults. almost like they're two different snakes. :D and the eyes are amazing.

13. BlackJack

Just to let you all know: we do NOT make a practice of handling the GTPs -- all the pics taken of them in our hands or on our arms started out with them curled up on their perches. (I've designed their terrariums in such a way that we can remove the entire perch with the GTP and not have to try to move them from their resting positions.)
    During the photoshoots they got active, however, and it was necessary to hold them to keep them from falling or getting away. We did not let that go on long -- just a few quick photos and back they went into their terrariums.

THANK YOU Jason for the PM reminding us that GTP babies have EXTREMELY fragile spines and especially in their first year should not be handled or moved about much! :)

We love that show -- as you can see by the fact that we named 3 of our snakes after characters there: (Crichton, Aeryn and Talyn -- if I had had my way "Monty" would have been named "Chiana" ;) )
    We have the whole series on DVD plus the movie... so we can watch it as often as we want... and don't have to wait for the sequels to the 2 or 3 parters! :D

14. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

I don't know much about those snakes,but I would like to know if they are active at day or night? I've seen those once at a petstore in Germany,but never moving around,always on a branch curled up.
    They are so fascinating,it would be fab to watch them explore!

15. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

WOW she's so teeny tiny!! But man oh man, is she pretty! :D
    I can just see her sitting in my 45 gallon show tank now......
    anyone wanna donate so I can have a snake like that too!? LOL ( j/k)

16. BlackJack

They are night active -- at least ours are VERY active!
    During the day, they stay curled up on a branch and sleep. Unfortunately, I think that gives a wrong impression to a lot of GTP owners and they keep their animals in small enclosures with just one (sometimes two perches). By the way my little guys cruise around, up and down all night, I feel sorry for the adults that are kept in smaller enclosures than mine are in right now. :(
    Aeryn and Crichton will each get even bigger enclosures when they are a bit over two years old.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.