This Disappears When Logged In

Bacteria Carried By Reptiles

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GobyMaster11276, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Hello, I just wanted to get some information in regards to bacteria, viruses, diseases and such carried by reptiles (e.g. salmonella) and how common/likely they are. Also information on how to avoid this (especially with younger children) would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The most common associated with reptiles is salmonellea. But you are also exposed to it with raw chiclen.
    Simple answer. To avoid these...wash your hands after handling. And particularly with young children do not allow them to kiss the animal.

GobyMaster11276 likes this.
  3. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

All I am really qualified to say is with 19 reptiles, following basic sanitation principles and hand washing before and after handling; me and my family have had no problems at all with bacterial infections. Sanitize cages during substrate changes, don't touch their feces or dirty water. Try not to touch the vent. If you are bit, disinfect area. Snake bites aren't usually a big deal because their saliva contains anticoagulant, but still disinfect.

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I must be the nearly the opposite of a germophobe. I don't bother much with any sanitation procedures at home, and in 20 odd years of keeping reptiles I've never gotten sick, nor has my family. Now that's not to say we got stupid with my daughter when she was young, but outside hand washing, it was never an issue for us. I only actually know one person who ever had an issue, and he admitted that the kid wasn't washing properly after being around the reptiles. So I would say any reasonable cleanup will keep the majority of people safe.

5. EctoJoJo

EctoJoJo Well-Known Member

All of the previous replies are pretty accurate. I have actually done a lot of reading on infectious disease especially zoonotic illnesses. Almost all concerns would be bacterial which is best warded off by a good hand washing (particularly before you touch your face mouth region).

6. Skink lover04

Skink lover04 Member

Use Clorox wipes wherever you set the reptile down and wash your hands before touching the face region or any counter tops ,household items,etc