This Disappears When Logged In

Background Plants

Discussion in 'Tropical Plants' started by 30mm, Jul 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 30mm

30mm Elite Member

Hey guys I'm doing a vert mod for two of my 10 gals and a 29. I want to do live plants for the background of it. What are some good choices for wall type plants? The cresteds are in the 10s and my WTFs are in the 29.

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Pothos is still the best in my own opinion. If you look at this construction photo of my 37 gallon, you will see i used a 2 liter soda bottle as a plant holder. I attached it by surrounding it with great stuff, then doing coco-fiber and bark over the outside. Now that the tank is finished, you would never know what's holding it together.

See the clear bottle? *note* tank is on its side
    [​IMG]

All hidden. Its on the left side, sort of halfway up.
    [​IMG]

3. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

A 10 gal might be a bit small for the 2 liter bottle, I found it stuck out a LOT in my 25. So instead I used plastic cups. I would suggest filling them with something prior to letting them set in the great stuff tho, mine got crushed in some places from the GS expanding.

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Ah, didn't see it was a 10 gallon. IMO a 10 gallon is too small to do a background. Remember, backgrounds take up space, so you are going to turn your 10 gallon into a 7 or 6 gallon by the time you are all done with dirt and background.

5. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

I think a 10 gal vert would work ok. I would just do strips of silicone on the glass, add thin areas of the great stuff and then cover the whole thing with more silicone and EE. You can make a relatively thin background, you just have to keep that in mind. I think the point of having the background is so that the animal has something more natural appearing to climb on.

6. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

Broms, small leafed Ficus, climbing begonias, among others make great background plants mixed with ferns and ant plants, for a natural habitat. I just though it's been a bit since I made a really detailed natural tank.

7. 30mm

30mm Elite Member

Thanks guys! I want to give my cresteds more security with a background.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

9. 30mm

30mm Elite Member

I like that, more of what I'm looking for. Thanks Merlin! Titus, I also thank you as well!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.