This Disappears When Logged In

Back for a Quick One - a Few Pics

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by caudalis_sa, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

Well have been at it as usual...it never ends. Sadly to say this time round I took very few pictures. I have no excuses or anything, was just a combination of being busy, bad lighting and lazyness.

Well I set up the logistics for a research program so things are underway. Set some trap lines up and did some field herping and helped out in a reptile park. Also gave some lessons on handling venomous snakes to a class. American intern also arrived, very cool dude from Arizona... caught on quickly to the African way of herping...On the way from picking him up we already came across a baby python crossing the road... one of many he saw in the first few days. Gave him the 101 on handling venomous African elapids(mambas, cobras etc.) He is doing great.

I should be heading back very soon, just stopping by for a quick visit home. Will try take millions more pics next time...just a few randoms for now. Sorry for the brief thread, no detail as per usual...tired. Any questions I will glady answer no matter how stupid or random. Ask away.

a super cool bark spider
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

boomslang ( Dispholidus typus) - was showing fangs to some people for educational purposes
    [​IMG]

The most common snake found - mozambique spittng cobra (Naja mossambica) .
    One week I found one of these babies everyday without even looking for snakes. this little guy i just rescued from under someone's tent!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here I was showing intern proper technique for handling a snouted cobra (Naja annulifera) on a road in a game reserve. Then he had a go...doing great! haha just noticed giraffe in the background...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

An awesome snake, Vine snake (Thelotornis capensis). Very dangerous as there is no antivenom for this species. You can hardly see these guys in the trees, also have some of the most advanced vision of any snake. Love em!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

then a lil Nile croc just because haha
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. stano40

stano40 Elite Member

That is some awesome photo's. Thank you for sharing those.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

stray giraffe. heh.

*jealous*

4. venus

venus Founding Member

Great to see ya back and your pics are amazing.

5. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Welcome back Dev, great pics.

6. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Always a pleasure to see your pics Dev. Thanks for taking the time to share them.

7. nicole

nicole Elite Member

what,, no tortoises, lol. I thought the same thing Liz, stray giraffe??? LOL

8. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

Nice, Dev! Can't wait to see more! :)

9. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

that picture of the boomslangs fangs is awesome! Ive tried to find pictures of rear fanged snakes, without much luck... Your pictures rock!

10. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

ah but nicole you are mistaken! i did actually see some torts...photographed one but was not satisfied with the outcome so never posted any pics....but just for you :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and as for the stray giraffe....more like stray human! haha

11. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

I concur!

12. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Great pics!
    Nice to see ya back :)

13. stano40

stano40 Elite Member

I believe that is a leopard tortoise and handsome to boot.

Thanks for the tortoise photos. My favorite reptile.

14. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

your belief is correct! haha yip that is a leopard tortoise (Geochelone pardalis)

15. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Dang it Devon, I just got my new issue of Urban Climber mag and it's all about bouldering in Rock Lands in SA, between that and your adventures I'm about ready to sell my car for a plane ticket.

16. nicole

nicole Elite Member

thank you Devon, I am forever in your debt. That tortoise was very cute! I love the look on the last one, he looks so sweet! Now,, I want more, lol

17. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Wow, Devon, great pics as usual. I love the mozambique spitting cobra! What a beauty!!
    Not something I'd want to have under or anywhere near my tent, though!
    The other cobra is so cool too -- cobras are my favorites of the venemous snakes.
    Thanks for the treat!

18. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Great pics Dev! Glad to seee you popping back in!
    Watch your fingers!

19. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

Amazing photos, as usual.

I'm so jealous right now, I can't even say. I think we ought to have a Herp Center field trip and all go out to Africa to take photos of the wildlife with you. ;)

20. RedLocks

RedLocks Elite Member

Awesome pictures!! Thanks for posting!! Have fun with that Arizonan intern...we are an interesting bunch ;) I am very jealous of both of you!!! Looks amazing...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.