This Disappears When Logged In

Baby Western Hognose Feeding and Vacation Question

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by graduationxday, May 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

The only reason I could think of for rear fang development as far as toad popping would be a specialized trait- much as the spine adaptations in the egg-eating snakes. Other than that, maybe they adapted to give us reptile nuts a good reason for keeping them. ;)

2. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

True, but then again thats a radical adaption to a 100% diet of eggs. And there has not been one proven case of a hognose actually popping a toad. Just the idea that it could be a reason. There are lots of theories out there just not a proven one. Plus there are tons of reasons to keep hognosed who needs more.

3. graduationxday

graduationxday Elite Member

She ate!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D
    I was trying one last time before I got a frog, and I put the pinkie and her in a box and left her over night and she ate it. I don't know what changed. Well only the box did so yeah.
    She ate! I'm so happy and not worried anymore haha.
    But when I went to move her out of the feeding box and back into her tank she hissed at me and stuff lol. I don't mind though. I'm just so ecstatic that she ate :]]

4. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Congratulations, I am glad for you. Sometimes they just take a while like Titus said.

Titus- I would love to learn more about the theories you posted about, so I can learn more for my own benefit. As I stated, I really don't have a lot of experience about hog-nosed snakes. Could you please give me some references?

5. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

Great to hear, She may go on and off feed for a while but at least you know she may drive you crazy but she will eat.

I'll have to dig though a buch of my papers and see what I can find. There were a few good websites about hognosed snakes but most have shut down or haven't been updated in years. Their was one I recall that had information about diet and venom that was really good. They looked into the effects of venom on different prey with controled doses and recorded the reaction.

6. graduationxday

graduationxday Elite Member

Thank you so much :]]]]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.