This Disappears When Logged In

Baby Western Hognose Feeding and Vacation Question

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by graduationxday, May 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Like Titus said some of them go off food for up to 2 months at a time. By looking at her/him? does it look like the snake has lost any weight or bidy mass since you got it? If not then it probably will be fine for a couple of weeks more. I would just continue offering it food every 4-5 days. If it does not eat and looks like it is losing weight, then you need to get it to a vet. A trip to the vet should be in the works anyway(if you have not already done it) for a wellness check-up and a fecal float if nothing else, to insure that there are no parasites you have to battle that may be the reason for it not eating.

2. graduationxday

graduationxday Elite Member

I've only had her for a month, and she doesn't look like she's lost any weight. Today she was out of her hide and moving around and all so I offered a pinkie. Now its about three hours later and the pinkie is sitting there untouched. This is so annoying x]

3. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

Keep offering food and try not to worry too much. I know these ones can stress anyone out at times. If in fact your snake is a female and 9" it's most likely from late last summer or fall. My females born in Oct are about the same size, while my smallest male of the same age is about 12". You have to think that these snakes are only about 4-5" when hatchlings. So by now they actually have a good reserve and normally need so living in the natural conditions that they do. Over the 7 months I've had mine I've seen most go off fed for at lest 2-3 weeks before showing that they were in the blue just to start eating after they shed. Also try leaving the food at lest 24 hours, some hognose seem to like the smell of more over ripe prey. It's been more than a few times that prey left from one day wasn't eaten untill the next.

4. graduationxday

I've left the pinkies in over night before.. But I begin to worry about them decomposing and smelling x]
    I also was thinking pinkies that had been in there a while weren't good anymore, you know?
    But yeah, today I went to a reptile show and bought some live pinkies. Well my dad did. I didn't look at them or see them or anything cause then I wouldn't have been able to do it. But anyways, I gave each of my beardies one and one to Scylla. We put her and the pink in a deli cup and then in a shoe box (to keep it dark.. was recommended) and then in her tank in case she was somehow able to get out.
    She's been in there since maybe noon today. My dad checked on her once around 1 or 1:30 and she hadn't eaten it. I haven't looked since because I don't want to freak her out or scare her away from eating. I'll check tomorrow and see what's gone on.

My dad talked to the mouse guy at the show and he said that we should put her in a small paper bag with the pink and keep her there over night, because feeding her in a dark small space is best for when she won't eat. Then he said that if she doesn't eat it, then we should catch a frog outside and freeze it in water, then chisel away to the frog after a day and cut a piece off and rub the meat part on a pink and put her in dark and see if she'll take it then.
    We didn't have a paper bag so we did the deli cup shoe box thing. Haha.
    And so she's maybe 7 or 8 months. That's cool :]
    How long does it take them to get to their full size?

5. graduationxday

Oh, I've been looking at her eyes a lot to see if they're getting cloudy or anything like they do before shedding and they're normal. Maybe that is what's wrong.
    The guy I bought her from said he couldn't tell me the last time she shed because he'd recently bought her from a breeder. So that may be it. I hadn't thought about that. That would make me feel better, and it'd be cool to see her shed haha.
    Oh, and the mouse guy at the show said that if she hasn't eaten by the next reptile show then we could bring her to him and he'd get her to eat. We'll see what happens I guess haha

6. titus

I've had no luck at all getting hognose to eat live food they seem to be too bothered by it's movement to eat it, just spending any time near it hissing and putting on a show.

I also wouldn't worry about feeding at night Hogs are one of the few snakes that are mainly active during the day mainly hunting mornings or evenings.

They also take a good amount of time between sheds so if you've only had it a month you could end up with quite a wait. They also don't stay in the blue for long a day or two, before their color comes back. In the 6 months I've had my 4 hogs, 2 have shed twice, the first time just after I received them and the second time just last week. So a good 4-5 months between sheds at this age, even when their eating weekly.

I've heard that they are full ready to breed at 18-24 months but I really can't see a female gaining that much size so quickly, being that they seem to grow so much slower than the males, but get larger. I would place breeding age at 3 years for females, like almost all other northern american snakes.

7. graduationxday

Hmm well she didn't eat the pinkie. I looked in the box thinking the pink was either dead or she'd eaten it... the poor thing was still alive. I started crying my eyes out and I told my dad I wanted to take the pink out and save it or something. I was totally upset. He ended up just killing it... He won't tell me what he did with it, but Scylla doesn't have it anymore. All I have now are frozen pinkies...
    What's the best way to thaw a pinkie? To offer it?

8. titus

I normally just put whatever feeders I have in the frige the night before to thaw out, now and again for smaller feeders I'll just let them thaw at room temp or use warm water to thaw them. With hognoses I've found it's just best to drop it in with them in the cage. Any thing else just seems to upset them and make them defensive.

Really everything you've ran into so far with your hognose is normal for the species. They can be hard headed and really don't eat as much as most other snakes. I would really start to wonder if a 8 month cornsnake stopped eating for 1-2 months, but for hognoses it seems to be almost the norm before they shed.

9. graduationxday

I've tried leaving pinks in lukewarm water for a few minutes until they're what I think is probably thawed, and I've tried heating them up under the hair dryer seeing if she'd like them better warmer... I've thawed them in hot water too... I haven't just set them out to thaw yet but I'll try that.
    Should I try the frog scenting thing?

10. titus

You could try scenting, I did it for the one female that wasn't eating for a month after we got her, but I can't say that she ate much better with sented pinkies than non-scented. Though it may be just what you need to get her to start eating.

11. graduationxday

Maybe so. Ickkkk I don't want to kill a frog! Eh, can you just rub a random frog or toad from outside on a thawed pink?

12. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I believe they have a liquid scent that you can buy (not positive tho but I think I read that somewhere on the site) I would think if you got a wild frog you could scent it that way but it might stress(stress can cause health issues) the frog out to much being caught, rubbed all over something, and then released. I know I'd be stressed if that happened to me ;)

13. titus

The liquid scent was made by t-rex, I don't think they make it any more. But there's always buying a frog and rubbing the F/t pinkie on a live frog. You juat have to have a cage for the frog.

14. graduationxday

So I could get a pet frog and use him to scent my pinks? Wow... That's great haha.
    We have a bunch of toads outside that I would catch all the time when I was little. They would never do anything but pee on me... I don't feel like it'd get too stressed out. I don't know though... And an excuse for another pet would be great ;]
    One thing I'd worry about with catching a frog from outside would be whether the frog had toxins on its skin. Is there any way to know? Should I just research the frogs westerns eat in the wild and see if there's a way to get one of them (as a pet)?

15. graduationxday

By the way you guys are being very helpful. Thanks so much :]]]

16. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

That is a very good idea and is what I would do. I also think that most frogs that you get as pets, with the exception of the poison dart frogs, would be ok. I'm no expert tho i'm just making an educated guess ;)

17. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I am pretty sure poison dart frogs from the store don't have poison because they get poison from what they eat and we don't have their wild prey here. Don't quote me on that though!

I don't know if you are warming the pinky up enough. A few mins won't be enough to thaw it completely and then warm it slightly.

18. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

I don't know about Western Hognosed snakes, but I do know that one of the primary foods for Eastern hogs is the American toad. They snakes have enlarged rear teeth and when they eat the toad, the toad inflates itself. The snake uses it's enlarged rear teeth to "pop" the toad, deflating it so it can be eaten. I am assuminfg that Westerns are the same, but I have heard that Westerns convert to rodents easier than Easterns.

19. titus

I've heard this all too, the problem is the most of it is myth. Less than 50% of all hognoses diet are frogs or toads, why would they have devloped rear fangs just of this reason? Toads are a fav. food and if anything gets hognoses in the mood to eat it's a good old american frog or toad.

20. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

What I have read on them is that what they eat make their poison more potent but that they have it still in captivity it's just not as strong

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.