This Disappears When Logged In

Baby Western Hognose Feeding and Vacation Question

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by graduationxday, May 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. graduationxday

graduationxday Elite Member

I'm going on vacation tomorrow and I'll be gone until Monday. I got a baby hoggie, now named Scylla, at a show last weekend, she's about eight or nine inches and smaller around than a dime.
    The man I bought her from said she ate pinkies, and the last time she ate was about a week ago from last Saturday.
    I thawed out a pinkie for her today and sat it in her cage after taking out her hide, but she had nothing to do with it.
    I warmed the pinkie up again and put her in a display cup thing and all she's doing is trying to get out.
    I really would feel better if she ate before I left for the beach, but I'm quite new to this whole f/t feeding thing. I don't even know if I'm doing it right, to be quite honest. Haha.

I turn the tap water on until it gets really hot, put it in a bowl, and then put the pinkie in a plastic bag in the water. I leave it in there for about five minutes, then give it to her. She doesn't want it, and I'm really not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if she's just still not settled enough to eat.
    Advice?

Ohoh, and with me going to the beach, should I leave Scylla's lights, and my beardies lights, on? I don't have a timer. I mean there's not much else I could do, except ask my neighbor to come and cut the lights on and off every day. I don't trust her though... There have been mishaps before and I'm not really wanting to risk it again. Ideas?

2. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

You can get timers for around $4 dollars at wal mart. I'd suggest getting 2 of them. And as far as the feeding goes I have no idea, sorry :(

3. graduationxday

I have five lights, UVB and heat for each beardie, and a heat light for Scylla, set up and they're all in a power strip. Can you put a power strip on a timer?

4. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

You can but I wouldn't. You only really need to put the lights on a timer so they have the day/night cycle.

5. graduationxday

I know, but there aren't enough outlets in my room to put all the lights each in its own outlet on its own timer. So I dunno what I'm gonna do. I don't have enough money right now to buy one of those power strips that has timers built into it. So yeah... Hmm. maybe I'll have time to go to Wal-Mart or Lowe's tomorrow to look for a power strip with a timer that's not specifically for reptiles at the pet store.. I'm sure it'd be cheaper that way. Haha

6. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Lowes or home depot is ALWAYs better than the pet stores :p:p;)

You can always get a cheap power strip and timer and put the lights on 1 power strip with the timer and have the heat on the other power strip without the timer

7. graduationxday

In my year or two of being overly obsessed with reptiles, I've come to learn that. Haha.
    And that'd be a great idea, but the heat lights are actual lights too, like not ceramic heat emitters or anything. So there goes that. Darn.

Scylla still hasn't eaten her mouse (which is kinda see through totally gross but almost kinda cute. almost as bad as superworms...). I know its normal for new snakes not to eat for a bit, but I can't help but worry my butt off x]

8. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

What do you use to heat them at night??

9. graduationxday

It stays around 67-70 at my house during the night, which, if I'm not mistaken, isn't too cold for either beardies (at night only, of course) or hognoses.

10. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

From the beardie care sheet...Dragons can have a night time temperature of no lower than 70 Fahrenheit. And the corn snake care sheet didn't have a night temp but said the cool side shouldn't get below 70F either. So, you might want to get a low watt night time heat bulb for them (I'm no expert tho;))

11. graduationxday

Hognoses daytime temps are in the mid 70's so I doubt that's too cold for Scylla. Next time I go to the good pet store I'll get heat emitters or something

12. graduationxday

I've put another pinkie with her just now so we'll see if she takes it this time...

13. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

*crosses fingers*:)

14. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Any luck yet?

15. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That's the low end of the temperature range!
    You should have a warm area of 85 degrees with a 90 degree basking spot.

16. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

It could very well be a while until it eats again. My one 7 month old female hog ate a few times since I got her and then wouldn't eat any thing for two months. She started eating again about a week ago and has been eating better than ever. The breeder I got them from said it's common to have one or two not eat for a month or so at a time. The temps could go higher during the day but I wouldn't worry about giving any higher temps to north american herps at night unless your house or area is cooler than the 60's at night. You will want some extra warmth for your dragons though.

17. graduationxday

She still hasn't eaten. I'm completely worried about her at this point.
    I can't find anywhere that has live pinkies. I've tried the split brain thing. I don't know what to try at this point. I imagine force feeding is possible, but I'm hoping there's something else I can do before that. Helppp?!

18. graduationxday

Scylla's temps stay around 82-84 during the day. I'll make it hotter in there... Maybe she'll eat then?

19. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

Keep hope my one female only ended up eating 2 meals after 2 months of nothing but is now in the blue. I'm hoping that once she's shed that she'll go back to eating. Your temps really sound fine, how big of a cage is she in? I've found that the younger ones do best in smaller cages, right now I'm using the breeding box small from exo terra for all my Hognosed but one, who is a lot bigger than the others.

20. graduationxday

She's in a 10 gallon right now, with a hide maybe a bit bigger than a quarter of the tank and a shallow water bowl the same size. She's in her hide most of the time but she pokes her head out every now and then, completely coming out sometimes. She's such a cute little thing.. I'm really worried even though it'll probably be okay. She's so little, around 8 or 9 inches. Any idea how old she may be? Since she's small she can't go as long without eating, right? When should I freak out? It's been about a month... But I'm going to a reptile show this weekend and I'm hopefully going to find some live pinkies... I'll have to get my dad to do the buying and feeding though cause I don't know if I can handle that yet :/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.