This Disappears When Logged In

Baby turtle ID confirmation needed

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Ssativa, Apr 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ssativa

Ssativa Subscribed User Premium Member

This lady I work with found this little guy on her doorstep when she came home one day. She gave it to me to raise in my tank until it grew big enough to put in her pond. It was about the size of a half dollar. It has since grown to about the size of a silver dollar. She called me today and says she misses the turtle so much that she bought an aquarium for him and has it all set up and she wants him back. I am going to see what she has set up for him and I would like to be able to tell her that she needs to purchase a uvb bulb if that is necessary for this little guy. I know it can't be a bad thing so I've been using one. I think he is a baby yellow-bellied cooter but I would like a second or third or forth opinion before I go printing the wrong care sheets off for her. Well, here are the pics, aw man! Photobucket is doing some site maintence. Oh well, here is one picture for now. Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Cute little guy!
    I'm not turtle expert so I will leave the ID to them.
    However you are correct. A UVB light is a necessity.

3. petsareusrescue

petsareusrescue Elite Member

4. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Looks like a Pseudemys nelsoni, or a Florida red-bellied turtle. sometimes called a red bellied slider

5. liljon140

liljon140 Active Member

yep you got a good old cooter.

6. Ssativa

Okay, photobucket is back up so I can now post some more pics. Here they are.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

yep,,,Florida red bellied

8. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Im not sure what he is but hes a cutie :D

9. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

he's so adorable!! i hope he lives a long happy life. :) glad you'll be printing out care sheets for her.

10. petsareusrescue

petsareusrescue Elite Member

turtle

Pseudemys floridana floridana

Florida Cooter

Florida distribution: northern part of state including panhandle.

Identification: up to 38 cm.

Light centered ocelli on underside of marginals.

Did you go to the website we told you about, there it will show the cooter and then you will have a good idea on providing a care sheet.:D

11. Brittone05

Brittone05 Elite Member

Can I just ask please if a "cooter" is different from a slider lol - I am in the UK so don't have a lcue what a cooter is!!

I got one similar to that in as a rehome recently - I was told it was a yellow bellied slider???

Cute little guy though :)

12. Ssativa

I researched a little last night because I had the same question. The 'Yellow-bellied' term is usually applied to the yellow bellied slider. Cooters can have yellow bellies, but the common Florida ones are called red-bellied cooters. It is as babies that they look so much alike. This site has lots of great pictures for identification.

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/wo...ter_-_Pseudemys_concinna_floridana/index.html

13. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Just to clarify for everyone, cooters are turtles in the genus Pseudemys, sliders are turtles in the genus Trachemys. Painted turtles are the genus Chrysemys. All three of these genera are similar in build and behavior, but still readily identifiable if you know what to look for. That little guy is definately a cooter.

Also, the Florida red-bellied turtle (aka Florida red-bellied slider/ Florida red-bellied cooter), is in fact, a cooter (Pseudemys nelsonii). In some areas of the country 'cooter' is synonymous with 'turtle', and any turtle is referred to as a "cooter", but to go by the technical use of the term, it only truly applies to the genus Pseudemys. The same situation occurs with the term 'slider'. It's often used to describe any turtle, though it's "official" use strictly applies to Trachemys and only Trachemys.

Captive care for all three genera is pretty much the same, though adult cooters tend to consume more plant matter than the other two genera. Kale, collard greens, and dandelions are great for them, but don't forget live fish, gutloaded crickets, and all that other good stuff. In the wild they feed on fish, amphibians, invertebrates, and various aquatic plants. They're quite fond of water lily blossoms.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.