This Disappears When Logged In

Baby Sulcata Temps And Humidity?

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by Jay1718, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Jay1718

Jay1718 Established Member

I'm considering seriously on getting a Sulcata. I have been reading various basking temps between 100 degrees and 120 degrees. And have seen many different views on humidity. I'm kind of lost on the right way. I believe that a young tortoise needs more humidity or a humid hide to help with shell issues.
    Ultimately the tortoise will live in a outdoor enclosure with a heated shed for the winter.
    I just want to get the correct temps and humidity so I can play with the enclosure and see what needs adjusting. Also what type of substrate should I use, I just ordered a batch of coco coir, and some ego earth for another enclosure, I was hoping to use that.
    Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated!
    I thought I might add that I am fully aware of the adult size of the animal lol.

2. Skink lover04

Skink lover04 Member

I don't know much about sulcatas but, I do know that spraying eco earth some can cause a giant humidity spike so be careful about that

3. Jay1718

I actually need the high humidity, Sulcatas in the wild hatched in the rainy season. I did some more research and talked with a breeder. I think I'm all set. But I appreciate the response

4. Skink lover04

Skink lover04 Member

I would watch kamp Kenans videos on YouTube he's kept sulcatas for years and he knows what he's talking about

5. Jay1718

I will check it out thanks