This Disappears When Logged In

Baby Snapping Turtle Questions!

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by tessamjohnson, Oct 23, 2013.

1. tessamjohnson

tessamjohnson New Member

Good Evening everyone!
    I have a little snapping turtle named Freddie. I believe he was born about a month ago, and boy is he growing! I just have a couple of questions about him. Thank you for your help in advance
    1. When he breathes his neck swells and unswells with air, that's normal right?
    2. He seems restless at time. He swims around, climbs on a rock and hops right back off, swims under his little rock shelf, sticks his head up, ect. He has a lamp that heats him during the day so I don't think he's cold or anything.
    3. I am currently feeding him dehydrated blood worms and he loves them! When is a good time to start feeding him small live fish?
    Again thank you guys for your help! I haven't owned a turtle in years.
    I added a picture of him and his habitat, I'm open to all suggestions and criticism about his habitat!

Attached Files:

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

1. When he breathes his neck swells and unswells with air, that's normal right?
    Yes this is normal. it wont be as noticeable when he is larger.

2. He seems restless at time. He swims around, climbs on a rock and hops right back off, swims under his little rock shelf, sticks his head up, ect. He has a lamp that heats him during the day so I don't think he's cold or anything.
    Do you have any way of measuring his temperatures? Also he is probably bored. He should be in a larger terrarium with plants and things to hide in as snapping turtles are ambush predators. Also the tub he is in isnt very deep nor very big so there isnt mych for him to do but go in circles endlessly. Try for something bigger with more naturalistic decor to allow him to get lost in it exploring.

3. I am currently feeding him dehydrated blood worms and he loves them! When is a good time to start feeding him small live fish?
    If you can find fish small enough to feed him (about the size of his head) go ahead and give them to him. If not you can do phoenix worms dropped into the water- they will wiggle about as they drown which is exciting for baby turtles.