This Disappears When Logged In

Baby Snake Poop??????

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by Frognut, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Ok, I live in Northern NC, more towards the Western side (but East of Ashville). I have a minor mouse problem as I have seen the standard rice-shaped droppings in random corners of my house on occasion.

However yesterday, I found and interesting pile of poo and naturally I went about cleaning it up before I thought to take a picture... but I will try to describe it as best as I can.

The dark brown droppings looked like your normal mouse rice shape/size, but they were strung together - segmented if you will. They were relatively fresh so they were slightly soft. They were sitting on a patch of white-ish substance. Reminded me of the white urine residue that is found attached to the end of my gecko's poop. But this wasn't formed or attached to the poop. It was under it. Again, I am guessing it was somewhat fresh as it was mostly watery, but some of the edges were powdery.

This was found almost in the traffic area of a room that doubles as my closet, not in the corners or out of the way places that I normally find the mouse droppings.

I've been told by a few pest control individuals that if there is white in it, it must be a reptile or bird. Well it's not a bird, and my leopard gecko and Corn snake are accounted for.... My corn snake is 5' and she has big messy poo's, and this was tiny ---

Any ideas?? I want to say the brown segmented part was no longer than 3/4" probably smaller (it looked like 3 mouse turds strung together) and the white substance surround it and had soaked into the carpet a bit - but I wouldn't put it larger than an 1" in diameter (and probably not that big). It would have to be a teeny tiny snake.... I'm at a loss!

Any assistance you can give would be appreciated. If I see it again, I'll be sure to photograph it first...

Thanks everyone!!!

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Random, semi-educated guess here, but maybe it was a small toad or tree frog or something similar. Or maybe a really small, like hatchling, garter. I have occasionally had small garters end up in my house, just none this year yet. Do you have anoles, or any other small lizards in that area?

3. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

We do have the random lizard, seen them more out at my friends house in the country - I've seen a blue tailed something (not sure if its a salamander), but its small, super quick and has a blue neon tail) and another variety that is dark in color with a yellow stripe. I'm sure they could be around.

We have american toads in the yard, and it wasn't like their poop. I used to keep my tree frogs in a terrarium, so I never really noticed their poops, as the silver tails(? some poop eating insect) took care of cleaning the tank… ;)

If it was a lizard or snake, it's highly unlikely I'll see it again. And I know we're all guessing, but I know at least here I would get the most educated guesses...:-" Thanks for the response!