This Disappears When Logged In

Baby Sea Turtles

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by mimo91088, Sep 9, 2011.

1. mimo91088

mimo91088 Elite Member

I'm in the navy and I was stationed in Guantanamo Bay. One night we were doing a beach sweep in a restricted area and we found a nest of baby sea turtles hatching. They were headed the wrong direction up the beach (we think following the lights on a vehicle mistaking it for the moons reflection on the water) so we carried them all to the ocean. I know people say to let nature take it's course, but they were clearly headed the wrong way due to human interference in thier natural habitat so we felt the need to help the little guys out.

In any case, I think they were baby hawkbills. Anyone else have any ideas?

56747_1553379314668_1240710268_31432076_2723492_o.jpg

56747_1553379354669_1240710268_31432077_758198_o1.jpg

56747_1553379394670_1240710268_31432078_5151475_o.jpg

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Ahh soo cute!

3. mimo91088

mimo91088 Elite Member

I know right?! That first picture is herman. I named him for good luck before I let him go.

4. mimo91088

mimo91088 Elite Member

GTMO was like a giant field trip for me lol. I was on base police, and i was the unofficial game warden. always on calls for rock iguanas and boas and stuff like that. I loved it.

5. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

So cute!!! I am glad you all steped in and helped them get to the ocean :) I hope they find their way now :)

6. Swimmer522

Swimmer522 Elite Member

:) i love them! and I'm glad you helped them. You helped right a wrong. many people would do that. Not to be bashing or anything its just most people interfer with the natural order of things and don't try to fix the problem :D how many babies were there? Also I dont know if you have any say in talking to some one about the nest there because there are most likely other nests on that same beach. I think you should try telling someone so maybe all of the nests could be protected *wishes*

7. Pumapard

Pumapard Elite Member

awww...You did the right thing helping those cuties! picking them up and taking them to water also protected them from seagulls and other predators which is awesome considering hawkbills are critically endangerd. Good job!!!:D

8. backwoodsgecko

backwoodsgecko Elite Member

What an amazing experience! I'm glad you helped the little guys out.

9. mimo91088

mimo91088 Elite Member

yea i was pretty much the go to guy for animal issues. we made sure to do hourly sweeps of the beach for the next few weeks at night. this was a couple years ago. didn't find any more nests or signs of nesting. but it was in a restricted area anyway so there would have been little to no human interference regularly. we just happened to be out there with all the lights on for a different issue when they started to emerge from the nest.

do they look like hawksbills to you too? that was just my best educated guess. I could tell they weren't the regular green sea turtles we got on occaison. I know hawksbills are endangered. I probably would have helped the little guys even if they were headed the right way. too cute not to.