This Disappears When Logged In

Baby Red Tail Boa Vomited

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by zbeld, Mar 17, 2014.

1. zbeld

zbeld New Member

I have a month old red tail well I think is no way he's over 2 months but any way my power went out last night and my red tail boa through his rat pinkie up that he had Sunday I think it is the temps that caused this or the fact that he ate a fairly large meal last Tuesday it was a rat pinkie but quite large he handled it fine and everything just made me nervous that he did this I don't think it's parasites but he did have runny stool but with my exsperience with snakes and from what I have heard from others pinkies give snakes runny stool so I'm wondering if in should take him to the vet or just move on and feed him in another week or longer so he cam produce back the acids he lost please help please

2. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

im not in anyway a snake person, as I love my lizards but from my experience in reptiles and many readings on this site I would be that it was that your lights went out and caused him to get too cold and he regurgitated the meal.... my opinion would be that when this happens again to stock up on hand warmers or get a small generator as a backup.... as for the diarriah I wouldn't know

3. trappen

trappen Elite Member

Sounds to me like he is just cold and didnt have the heat required to digest when the lights went out. I wouldn't worry too much at this point in time. Get his temps up leave him be for a while and try again next week. If he continues to have loose bowel movements then get him to a vet for a parasite check. How long have you had him and what are his usual temps and humidity at? Do you have pics of your set up and snake?

As for power outages, if they are common to your area I would invest in either a generator as Jaydsr said or a UPS (uninterruptable power supply) for back up if the power goes out.

4. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

that's what I did, I bought a small gas power generator, as we also have a wood burn furnace for heat.... so we are kinda old school here haha

5. zbeld

zbeld New Member

My day time temps are usually around 88 and the night temps usually drop to 83 I try to keep the humidity around 60 percent and I will upload a pic of his enclosure I have him I'm a fairly small setup now just a ten gallon but he is not big at all times

Well Idk how to post pics on here from my phone it's being difficult if you would give me your email I will.send a pic of the enclosure and the snake and what he regurtated

The temps that night dropped down too 75

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Sounds like a temperature issue, so I would just wait a week and feed again. I am curious as to what your using to measure the temps and humidity. Also, I have little experience with small baby boas, but a pinkie anything should be too small for a baby redtail. I would think it should be on fuzzies I generally start baby balls on rat fuzzies, though they are built thicker than boas. But the boas insee for sale at shows generally look as if they shouldnbe on pups or even weaners.

7. zbeld

zbeld New Member

I have digital everything and rat pinkies are quite large he ate a vary large one and struggled with it

8. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

Boa Constrictors are kind of my thing and I'm fairly knowledgeable about them so I am confident I can help.

One thing that should be noted is that regurgitation can become habitual and it is no fun once it gets to that stage...
    Things I need to know to help: Is your Boa Constrictor a BCC or BCI? What was the lowest temps in the cage during the outage? Was the snake left alone or checked on during the outage? Was the snake moved, bothered, picked up, etc? If available please include a picture of the snake next to a rat pinkie.

Oversized meals can cause regurgitation as well so I'd need a picture of the rat next to the snake. switch to mice (for now) if rat pinkies are too big. Young BCCs (BC. Constrictor) are more likely to have regurgitation issues within the first year of birth than BCIs (BC. Imperator), however it happens in both.

The only advice I can give without information is to try again 17 days. NO SOONER. Best of luck.

9. zbeld

zbeld New Member

75 on the warm side no telling on cold and Idk how to post pics on here from my phone so I should wait 17 days to feed him ? That won't mess with his growth

10. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

Wait 17 days to offer more food so his belly can settle. After that, if he keeps the food down, return to your regular schedule.

Hot side should be 89-91°, cold side should be 75-83°.

11. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

What is happening with this boa now?

MOST important - do not attempt to feed for at least two weeks after a regurge!

MORE important - get those temps UP on the warm side to what EriksExotics said, and cold side should not go below 75.

Regurgitation (really it is vomiting) can become a chronic condition and very difficult to overcome, especially if the temps are not correct and the snake is fed, (and keeps being fed because of anxiety on the owner's part) too soon afterwards. Sometimes when the vomiting becomes a habit, it can lead to death, even if the cause has been diagnosed (temps, parasites, whatever) and treated. Some parasites are not curable.

I once treated a friend's boa for months that had this problem, and time and patience eventually worked out. We had to tube feed it for a while, actually using Gerber "chicken" baby food and also stuff like Benebac to re-establish the digestive bacteria in its stomach.

A good reptile vet may be needed in this case, if after you do what is suggested here, the problem persists.