This Disappears When Logged In

Baby pythons escape during flight in Australia

Discussion in 'Pythons *General*' started by Aalamil, Apr 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aalamil

Aalamil Elite Member

MELBOURNE, Australia – Four baby pythons escaped from a container aboard a passenger plane in Australia, leading to a search that forced the cancellation of two flights, the airline said Thursday.

Twelve non-venemous Stimson pythons were being transported Tuesday on a flight from Alice Springs to Melbourne in the plane's cargo area in a bag inside a plastic foam box with air holes.

When the flight landed, it was discovered that four snakes had escaped from the package, a Qantas spokeswoman said in a statement.

A reptile expert searched for the 6-inch (15-centimeter) -long snakes but did not find them. It was not known if the snakes were still on the plane or if they had somehow escaped outside after the plane landed.

In the meantime, the plane missed two flights it had been scheduled to fly and the passengers were transferred to other flights.

When the snakes were not found, the airplane was fumigated and it returned to service on Wednesday.

Stimson's pythons, which can grow up to three feet (one meter) long, live in western and central Australia and are not an endangered species.

Associated Press

Original: Baby pythons escape during flight in Australia

2. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Interesting. I've never heard of a Stimson's Python.

3. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

"Holy snakes on a plane, Batman!!" Now no-one will want to fly the (reptile) friendly skies.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I was just reading about that.
    Four 6 inch long pythons caused all that commotion!!
    Should have just turned a bunch of herpers loose in there to find them!

5. Aalamil

Aalamil Elite Member

one phone call to the right person and those snakes would have been found...interesting story though and yeah I've never heard of that snake either

6. Merlin

7. Aalamil

Aalamil Elite Member

OMG, that is the most beautiful looking snake I've ever seen. Thanks for that link Merlin

8. Sinlightened

Sinlightened Elite Member

beautiful snake.. too small tho.. would love one about twice that adult size =)

9. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

beautiful snakes and the perfect size in my opinion :p

10. Merlin

Not everyone is cut out to house a monster snake!
    And knowing it, is wisdom!

11. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

I heard that all but one of the snakes were found?

12. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Oh boy I can see it now.....

This is going to spark someones imagination and there will be another snakes on the plane movie! I don't know if the world could handle another movie like that....

13. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Stimsons, Spotted, Children's and Anthill Pythons are all related in the genus Antaresia, and are all very small (about a meter), the Anthill holding record for smallest python species, if I remember correctly.

14. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

They sure are cute little guys. I wonder if I could talk the wife into... Yeah, right!!!

15. ShAn3

ShAn3 Elite Member

I think these are awesome snakes! I am soon to be purchasing my first pair this year. They are a perfect first python. Dragoness, are the Anthill also known as Pygmy's? I have never heard of a common name like that!

Some beauty's that are for sale :D
    Stimson Pythons

16. Aalamil

Aalamil Elite Member

I tried talking the wife into it last night about getting one of these....you don't want to imagine the look and talk I received. :-(

17. JustJames76

JustJames76 Elite Member

A nice looking snake there. They really remind me of the early phase of my Irian Jaya carpet pythons (IJCP) Morelia Spilota Variegata. [​IMG] .

Now they look like this:

[​IMG]

Having no experience with Stimson's, I HIGHLY recommend IJCPs. Mine are handled without issue and have always been great eaters. I switched them from mice to rats without toooooo much trouble. They both simply refused the first rat I offered. A week later, I scented a rat with mice and after a lot of food teasing, they finally took one. They've taken rats without issue ever since. Max size is 3-5 feet, and they are slender snakes who don't take up too much space. If you're not a size queen, what's not to love?

18. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Could very well be - I'd have to look it up.

19. Wildflowernw

Wildflowernw Elite Member

Those a real pretty. I'm not a snake person but that's something that I could learn to like pretty easily. I never did any snake research and just figured that they can all get pretty big.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.