This Disappears When Logged In

Baby Passed Away.

Discussion in 'Over the Rainbow' started by Thalatte, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

So just got a call from my stepfather, apparently my baby box turtle Miney passed away this morning.
    image.jpg
    I don't know why so when I get home I will look him over and his cage readings to see what it could possibly have been...
    And I have to sterilize the entire set up and check over the other three babies...
    Today is just not looking to good.

2. RegiusSerpents

RegiusSerpents Active Member

I'm so sorry for your lose :( hope the other babies are okay..

3. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Bummer dude, losing scaly friends is hard! Box turtles seem to have fairly high instances of mortality in juveniles, though, was he failing to thrive? I'm sorry for your loss. :(

4. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

Aww I'm so sorry for your loss. :( I hope you can figure out what happened, because the not knowing really sucks. :(

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

He wasn't doing all that great since the day I got him. He never dug down and was always on top of the substrate in the coldest corner but he ate like a pig and was always active. I was just compensating by having it warmer in his cage (about 80F with one spot being 85-90f) but this past week he hasn't been doing so well and I had to force soak him and then put him in the bowl of worms and watch him eat. After a good soak he always seemed to perk right up and would gobble food down.

Well I have been sitting and writin down symptoms and timeframes and various changes that have occurred since he started going down hill. So far here is what I have: 1. started being lethargic the past week-mom and stepdad moved in last week. 2. The weather has been surprisingly cold the past two weeks with this week getting down to the 40-50's at nigh and 70's during the day. 3. My stepfather has an odd and annoying insistence on turning things off. 4. Worried about Miney not moving in the past 48hrs he put him in a bowl of water on the counter with food pellets. 5. There is no heat in my house.
    Conclusions: stepdad turns off heat pads and lights at night before he goes to bed and then once he gets up in the morning (I have caught him doing it and yelled at him for it but I didn't think he knew where the switch for the turtles was) this probably accounts for the decline in Mineys activities. Then his morning when he put Miney in the water it was probably lukewarm water that would have cooled very rapidly and he only set the container on the kitchen counter (no heat source anywhere nearby) so the water would have reached low 60's easily in the 6hrs that Miney was left in the water. I think Miney froze though i need to verify my hypothesis. Either way, my stepfather is going to be grounded and get a 3hr lecture on proper care of all my animals, poop patrol on all cages and the backyard for the next 3months.

6. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Sorry to hear Thala, RIP Miney. :( I hope you can workout your situation with your stepdad, good luck with your other little guys. Hope they're doing fine.....