This Disappears When Logged In

Baby Mantis Help?

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by DarkMagician207, Dec 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

does anyone know how to take care of praying mantis babies? turns out the female that i brought home (Juliet) has left me three egg sacs (2 good and 1 unfinished) she passed away in november and today one of the egg sacs is covered in baby mantis! i'm excited but am not real sure what to do now. any advice?

2. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

I would call all your local pet shops in the morning and get either pin size crix or fruit fly cultures. However, I don't have mandtids, only wish I did.

3. DarkMagician207

well i work at a pet shop so i'll have to work on getting the tiniest crickets i can get! lol. thanks for answering i'll see what happens! :D

4. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

Awww, good luck with them dark, hope it all goes well for you, :D

5. BrianS

BrianS Elite Member

Separate into small deli cups and provide small sticks etc for them to climb om. Many won't make it so I would put about 3-4 in the delicups and let them canniblize until you have more managable numbers. Here are some pics you might want to check out
    http://www.healthyherps.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=123

6. RaVeN666

RaVeN666 Active Member

hehe...baby mantids ehhh? Not hard to care for at all. On top of what Brian said, you should mist them very lightly every few days and make sure they eat a lot. If you dont see them catching the food you can cutt a cricket into small peices and put it right to the mantids mouth carefully with tweezers so that it tastes it, the mantis will 90% take it after tasting that its food. mantids wont eat anything that doesnt move! I cut mealworms in 3 peices and hand it to the mantids that I got left. They almost always finish it. Oh yea and keep the ootheca taped to the top on the enclosure until it hatches, in the last pick in the link above it shows the ooth sideways, that it wrong. I heard from 3 experts that you can have a bad hatch that way.I put it like that way after it was done hatching. :D

7. DarkMagician207

thanks for the info. yes i've looked up pics of babies before. but the real things are sooo adorable!!! i looked up some info before about them but its always good to have extra advice. i knew alot of them wouldn't survive cuz they eat each other. i'll do the best i can for them now and see what happens. thanks for everyone's help. here's a pic of one of the babies. they're so tiny! :D Juliet left me with such sweet little ones!

[​IMG]

8. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

That is too adorable!! Thanks for sharing with us, and good luck with the babies. Let us know how you get on with them :)

9. RaVeN666

RaVeN666 Active Member

everytime i held mines like that It went for my finger!! They are constatly causing trouble and trying to bite me. hehe

10. Inphormatika

Inphormatika Elite Member

Awww, I can just picture a little tiny mantid bravely attacking and trying to eat something 1,000,000 times it's size. How adorable. :)

11. DarkMagician207

well not so good news. all my little babies are gone. :( i know a few got eaten and i'm betting a few probably escaped when i took them to work and i found the rest of them dead the other day. its just so cold here right now and i tried my best to keep them warm i guess it just didn't work out. i still have another egg sac left and an unfinished one so we'll see what happens. it makes me sad but it really was so cool to see all the little babies and to have that experience. :) so i'm glad for that, but i'll miss the little guys.

12. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Thats just a bummer!! :(
    I'm still debating if I want to go the "mantis route" and get an egg sac....lol
    I think they will drive the poor cats NUTS!! :p
    And besides? Can the babies fit through regular screen tank tops (the soft metal kind)?

13. DarkMagician207

i guess its possible that they could. those little guys have sticky feet when they're babies and climb all over the place! lol

14. BrianS

BrianS Elite Member

You might want to put the other eggs in the refrigerator until warmer weather so they won't catch you off guard again. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.