This Disappears When Logged In

Baby Green Iguana

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by shanamaynard18, Mar 24, 2010.

1. hello my name is Shana, I just got a baby green iguana 2 days ago and i am scared of it but my husband is not. I always see my husband petting and hold her and im scared to. I wanted to know if anyone can help me not be scared as much. thank you.
    Shana,

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, good to see you here! First, I think the best thing you can do for the iguana is NOT to handle for a couple of weeks or so, you must allow time for the animal to acclimate, because you are just like a predator at the moment. Can you give details of tank size, and whether this is an all glass fish tank. Also, temps, humidity, heat and light bulbs you are using, and do you have a couple of photos? Thanks!

3. Well i made the cage he is a wooden 50 gallon. and i am using a uvb light and a night time lite and the night time lite is red i keep both of them on during the day and at night time i only leave the red one on. he has green veggie foods and water. and i have a hot rock in there which I put a new clean sock over it so it wont burn his belly and i have a thick stick for him in there for him to clime one. he seems really happy and hes a good iguana. the only problem I'm having is that I'm scared to pet him. and I really want to. and i currently don't have a camera to take pics. but hes 12 inches long and a baby.

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Have you seen the iguana caresheet here, if not, take a look, it will give you a list of foods etc, read it through and tell me if you think it`s what you are already doing. Take out the hot-rock asap, they can cause serious burns, also, they get their heat/light from above. Do you know the names of the lights you are using for UVB? And I have to say again, for the next couple of weeks, no handling, it`s stressful for the iguana, even if you think he/she "enjoys" being picked up, until they are settled in and used to you, best left alone! I forgot: What is the lid made from?

5. well april cant get burnd by the hot rock because its inb a sock fully coverd and i touched it to make sure its not hot its like luke warm. and the lights are on the top corner of the cage and the wooden lid is over the liths so the lights are hooked on the side n the wooden top is not closed all the way it rests on the lights. and the light is directly on april from above. and ive read threw all of the care sheet info and im doing everything right. and ive made an appointment for her to see a vet for a physical.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

We ask the questions we do for a reason. And telling us its right does not tell us anything. There is a lot of VERY bad information floating around.

You need to get that hot rock out of there NOW. They are notorious for shorting out and causing a burn. And since reptiles don't feel burns in the same way we do it takes them abit to figure out that they are getting burned!
    You cannot judge temperatures with your hand. Your body temperature is in the high nineties so anything that feels warm to you is on the hot side for an iguana.
    And putting a sock over it won't help. In fact that is a fire hazard!

Exactly what foods are you feeding?
    What is the type and brand of UVB light?
    What are the temperatures in the tank, basking spot, cool end, etc. and how are you measuring them?

7. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

And even if that heat rock didn't over heat [but it will, trust us] they tend to not seek out the basking area that they so very much need overhead because they are warm from the rock.. They need the UVB and the basking temps overhead for digestion purposes and they will not get it if they remain on the rock.. And it certainly should not even be a consideration of putting it under the basking area.. OUCH!!!

We are just trying to help, so becoming defensive here isn't going to do your girl any good here..

As for your question on how for you to get over being afraid of her, I would suggest it is you that does the daily feeding and cleaning of the cage. As stated do not try to touch for a couple of weeks. Just feed and clean and get out of the cage.. But also know this.. Taming these guy's down or as we refer to "Socializing Them" is not something that is going to happen overnight. It takes time and patience with these guy's especially when they are housed right and fed right [real healthy]. So that being said maybe by the time this happens you may have had time to relax and enjoy your new pet and finally be ready for that interaction..

8. just to let u know it said i'm a new owner so i didn't know anything bout the heat rock over heating ok so don't be talking to me like that. and i appreciate the help. and i did take the rock out.so just relax buddy.
    and also i've been getting used to her by changing her food and stuff i'm just anxious to be able to spend time with her and relax. shes so cute and i love her. thanks for the help i appreciate it.

Shana,

9. MollyJ

MollyJ Elite Member

He's just trying to let you know what needs to be done for your iguana to be safe.
    Read all the links we provide so you know if something you're doing might hurt him/her, and so they can be healthy. A healthy iguana is a happier iguana.
    MANY people think they're doing what's right, when they're going off misinformation. We're here to tell you whatever you need to know.
    Diet is very important, this list is great for figuring out what to get: Food Information Chart
    It is important to allow the iguana some time to adjust to their new environment before handling them. You don't want to cause too much stress, and it's hard to tell when they are stressed, so just let them take it easy.

10. ok thanks for your help i really appreciate it. i'm feeding her collard greens and yellow squash and the things that are on the list i read off of that web site. she seems happy. and i keep her cage very clean and her water in there at all times. and i mist water in there at least 5 times a day to keep it humid and perfect for her. thank you.

shana,

11. MollyJ

MollyJ Elite Member

Try to get a mixture of collard, turnip, and mustard greens, along with some other veggies (squash, parsnip, sweet potato, etc.) and maybe a fruit. I can never find all three greens at the same time, so he usually gets collards with just one of the others, switching them every other time if I can. The smaller you cut/grate the food up, the better, too. They can fit more food in their bellies and get more nutrition with smaller pieces. I roll the greens up and cut them into strips, then cut those into smaller pieces. Cutting up the other veggies rather than grating can keep them from going bad as fast too.

12. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

To start becoming less afraid of her, try this - it will be good for her and you. Just remember that she is probably more afraid of you than you are of her (right now she is so little you look like a big scary predator that might try to eat her! lol)

Keep cleaning her cage daily. After about two weeks or so start putting your hand in the cage. Don't touch her, just let your hand rest in the cage for a few minutes. Keep doing that every day, increasing the time and frequency that your hand is in the cage. Gradually do it with your hand closer to her - but still not touching. Then, start gently petting her in the cage each day. After you both get used to that, reach into the cage and just hold her inside the cage (you will need a MUCH bigger cage VERY soon btw). Then continue progressing just like that, moving to holding her outside of the cage, letting her run around and explore the bathroom while you read a book, etc.

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Excuse me but the reason I was "talkin to you like that" was even after being told that it was a danger you argued that it wasn't, since you put a sock over it.

I saw something that could be a danger not only to your animal but to your entire household and told you so.

We will do our best to help you with your ig. Many of us, myself included, have kept iguanas for many years. we have seen the pitfalls that new owners go thru and are trying to head you off from making the same mistakes. The smallest detail can make the difference between success and failure in keeping them healthy.

That said, What is the type and brand of UVB light?
    What are the temperatures in the tank, basking spot, cool end, etc. and how are you measuring them?

14. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

The only way to not be scared is to conquer your fear and just be near the animal. Start slow, just sit by the cage. Then maybe rest your hand in the cage in a few more weeks. Then touch the ig on the back when its resting.

And do listen to Merlin. After all, you came to this site looking for help. We as a group get very frustrated when we see something wrong only to be told its not. Sometimes we have to be more than polite in our responses to get a point across.

Also, please refrain from using text message short cuts/use the spell check. We have lots of people on this board from foreign countries using automatic translators, and those things get lost in translation.

15. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

:)Hi there Shana and April and congrats on acquiring each other!

Shana everyone here wants you and April to have a long and happy life together. You have received lots of great advice, and please do listen to Merlin and try to provide the information he requested, it's for April's good! She will blossom in your care as she grows and becomes accustomed to being handled.

Good luck to you and nice to meet another iguana owner!

16. uromonster

uromonster New Member

It's good to be around the animal often and do some talking. It'll get used to your presence, your hands in the terrarium, your noises, etc... you can offer treats and pet their heads and stuff like that. As it becomes less jumpy, you probably will too.

17. dieselmatt02

dieselmatt02 Well-Known Member

I suggested this in another post but go out and buy a book called GREEN IGUANA The Ultimate Owners Manual by James Hatfield. I included a link to the website of the book.

Green Iguana - The Ultimate Owner's Manual

It's a very good book to read and to have around for reference. It covers EVERYTHING very thoroghly! I owned IG's in the past but never had this book. I rescued an Ig a few months ago and also bought this book right after I did my rescue. I'm glad I have it, I learned alot even though I read other Ig books in the past.

For the food, I found that our local Mejier store (not too local, it's 15 miles from me) has Collards Greens, Turnip Greens, Mustard Greens, and Dandilion Green in their produce dept. Ulysess loves all of those and I can get them in one place.