This Disappears When Logged In

Baby Fox Snake Not Eating...

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by bloodraven, Oct 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bloodraven

bloodraven Elite Member

Ok, we have had two fox snakes since their first shed, about two months ago. At first, neither would eat. So, we went awhile without feeding them, then tried again, still nothing. So, we tried live, nothing. Today, one of them actually ate a F/T pinkie. Strangely, he is the one who is also still looking fairly healthy. Our other one....not so much. He is very thin, acts very weak, Vet says he is just malnurished and we need to try a few more things before force feeding. In the past few days, he has had F/T, live, brained, FK, scented...everything.

Tonight, we finally broke down and force fed him. It took awhile to get his mouth open, and once open, put the mouse in there. As soon as it was in and we set him down, he released it and wanted nothing to do with it. So, we put it in a little further to start the eating instinct. He moved on it a few milimeters, then stopped. Now, he is in his tub, mouse still in his mouth, and isn't doing anything. He did open his mouth wide a couple times...but hasn't done anything. The question is, at this point, what do we do? We feel he may be too weak to finish eating it, but we can't figure out what else to do...

Oh, fiance just said she saw him move just a bit more towards the end...here's hoping...

And yes, they are both in different tubs, heat is just right, plenty of hides...we're at a loss...

2. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

You could try scenting the pinkie with chicken broth, lizard, or some type of frog. If that still doesn't work you could try offering him an anole or house gecko. If that doesn't work I'm not sure what else would since you've already tried everything. Only thing you could do is keep force feeding and hope he starts taking food by himself over time. Hope the little guy starts eating, good luck.

3. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

We had a Ball python that was a hard start feeding, We did just as you have, placing the mouse in its mouth and then leaving it alone. It took 3-4 times placing it in it's mouth per feeding and about 4 weeks feeding her this way before she started eating on her own. So keep up with what your doing and also keep the snake well hydrated, I found placing the snake in a very humid container for a few hours works well to get them to drink a good amount.

4. bloodraven

bloodraven Elite Member

Woke up this morning to find him laying beside the pinky..he somehow got it out...I'm at a loss!!

5. draggin

draggin Member

In my experience with fox snakes when they are young, is feeding them night crawlers from the bait shop. Make sure your ambient temp in the cage is warm enough. Hope he/she is o.k. and finally eats.

6. bloodraven

bloodraven Elite Member

I just got a call from my fiance...he passed away shortly after I left for work...thankfully our other one is eating fine and still acting normal...it was her snake, so I am sure she is feeling pretty terrible right now. Thanks for the information though!

And fox snakes can do the nightcrawler thing aswell? We feed our baby garterchopped up nightcrawlers, I didn't know the fox snakes would take them as well. Hopefully I can get her another one. Thanks again.

7. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

I'm sorry for your lost. Unfortunatly thats how nature works, some animals are just not ment to survive. Good luck with your other one and hopefuly your fiance feels better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.