This Disappears When Logged In

Baby Crested with Some Frogs

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by scaphirhynchus, Jan 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scaphirhynchus

scaphirhynchus New Member

I have a Crested Gecko that is about 4 or 5 months old, growing very well. I just put together a terrarium for him with coco fiber a large water dish, and some monkey branches. I would like to add a couple of frogs. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what kind? Cubans?

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Re: Baby Crested with Some Frogs?

I would suggest to not mix species. There's usually different requirements.

3. scaphirhynchus

From what I understand of Crested Geckos is that they need moist conditions and crickets as well as the baby food-honey-calcium supplement. And that most tree frogs desire close to the same habitat. I would need to add more cover for the frogs...such as a Philodendron..

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

You really don't want to mix species. It will cause un-do stress on both animals, risking their health. They can also spread diseases between each other. One could be a carrier but not infected, but it could infect another animal and it could be deadly. Cubans are bad in general, since they produce toxins.

Mixing species only works in HUGE enclosures (I'm talking 200+ gallons here), where they have multiple hiding spots, basking spots, etc... Its like locking you in a room with a mean dog and you can't get out or even away. Just because YOU want to add frogs, doesn't mean your Crestie wants them.

5. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

In addition to the reasons already stated by Liz and Ken, a big reason you wouldn't want to mix cresties and tree frogs is that the temp requirements will be different. Most tree frogs want high 70's- 80's. If you let your tank get much past 80 degree with a Crestie, this could kill it. They prefer temps in the 65-75 range.

6. scaphirhynchus

I was just thinking about their temperature ranges. Thanks for the info, think I'll just get another crested :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.