This Disappears When Logged In

Baby Boa Wont Eat!

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by Boakeeper21, Nov 4, 2013.

?

is my snake ok? if not what should I do to get her back to eating again?

Poll closed Jan 23, 2014.
  1. is my snake ok?

100.0%
  2. what should I change?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Boakeeper21

Boakeeper21 Member

I have a 3 1/2 month old boa. She just had a perfect shed 2 days ago. The last time she ate was 2 weeks ago. I tried to feed her twice since the shed but no luck.. I was just wondering if this was normal?? Before the shed she ate consistantly every week and now that she shed she shows absolutely no interest in eating at all!!!! My set up is a 10 gallon terrarium with cool side 80f and hot side 90f. Humidity 50 to 60%. She is 21 inches

2. Boakeeper21

Boakeeper21 Member

Will someone please help me out! It would be greatly appreciated!

3. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

How are you measuring the temps of your enclosure? Those little round dials are often wrong. You need an accurate temp of the basking surface. You can pick up a nice digital thermometer at Walmart(in the thermostat isle) for $10-20.

10 gallon is very small for a boa, my girl was in a 30 gal when I got her at one month old. You will have to upgrade her soon, my girl is 15 months old and 4 feet long, they grow fast!

Is there anything different you are doing? Different rodents? Boa's are eating machines the only time I have had a refusal was during the shed cycle. Is there more activity in the area? Little things can effect anything. I had a ball python go off food because I moved my racks into another location.

How often are you offering the food? What size of prey are you offering(she should be on adult mice, rat fuzzies or day old rabbits). Anything too small she might think it's not worth her time/energy.

4. Boakeeper21

Boakeeper21 Member

Im actually in the process of moving her up from hoppers to adult mice. But she just doesnt show interest in eating either of them since the shed. I have moved her feeding spot into a different part of the room but its still the same box I always feed her in, I dont think that would affect her much? And yes I do use 2 round thermometers :/

5. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Toss those round ones and pick up a digital with probe. Chances are your temps are way off and that is why she has stopped eating. Do you use an under the tank heater, heat light, or both? 10 gallons are hard to achieve the proper temps.

6. Boakeeper21

Boakeeper21 Member

Ok I will look into that. I use a mini heat mat and a 75 w heat lamp.

7. thinkbig317

thinkbig317 Elite Member

What Wyldrose said!!! And why are you feeding her outside her enclosure? There is no need for this and could be causing unecessary stress to your snake.

8. Boakeeper21

Boakeeper21 Member

Because I don't won't her to swallow any bedding. I use a dirt that keeps good humidity in the tank and it sticks to the mouse. But I can try..

9. thinkbig317

thinkbig317 Elite Member

If your temps are correct you shouldnt have to worry about impaction. Your boa should digest properly given the proper hot spot. They dont get moved to a feeding tub in the wild...;)

10. Boakeeper21

Boakeeper21 Member

Haha makes since. Thanks for the help guys!!

11. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I agree I feed all my snakes in their enclosures. Less stress and when you have 33 hungry snakes it takes too much time to take them out.

12. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

I curious, how long does it take to feed that many? Including babies?

13. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

30-40 mins max :) I'll time it tonight! Most grab their food right away. I need to make a video of the sand boa eating, reminds me of the Tremor's movies!

14. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Lucky! I have two that drag things out and I have barely a 3rd of yours!

15. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

27 snakes fed in 24 minutes :) 2 garters ate sunday, lived mouse eater bp ate yesterday, big male bp and 2 adult corns have this week off lol.