This Disappears When Logged In

Baby Ball Python assistance

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Annexa, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Annexa

Annexa Member

I recently purchased a gorgeous regular, female ball python hatchling from backwaterreptiles. She arrived healthy as could be, and is a very curious little gal. I was wondering if anybody else had purchased one from them, and if they had what they tend to eat, frozen thawed or live? I understand that frozen thawed is the best, both for the snake's health and in convenience to get however I want to be sure that I get Peanut (that's what I named her) the best thing, within a reasonable price. I believe that she is large enough to eat Pinkie Rats. The picture below is her right after I unpacked her from the box.

Attached Files:

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

She could eat a small rat from what I see. I feed my 2 corns small rats. Have you shot BWR an email asking what they have fed? I am going to speculate that they fed live but you should find out for certain. The sooner you switch to F/T, the better. You really don't want the snake to be hooked on live as it will be harder to get them to switch later.

3. Annexa

Annexa Member

I have sent them an e-mail, and am currently waiting for a reply from them. I shall be switching her to F/T as soon as possible if she is on live.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I agree. A pinkie is too small. I would try a rat pup. It's about the same size as a large adult mouse.

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I start hatchlings on fat fuzzies, so yes, skip the pinkies, and I agree that a small rat should be fine. As for backwater, so far as I know they are mostly a reseller and may not have even had her long enough to have fed her, but it won't hurt to try and find out.

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I would just offer F/T and see how it goes. After it is thawed, warm it up to mammal body temp (right around 100ºF) and offer it. She may very well take, and it will save you the headache of converting a stubborn snake later.

If she takes, great, if not, there are ways of convincing her that dead things are food.

7. Annexa

Annexa Member

Yeah, I've been looking up different ways to convince her to eat it. One I saw was putting the F/T mouse/rat in chicken broth. o_O I'll be feeding her today, hope all goes well.

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I have heard of chicken broth, but have not used it. Mostly, never had to.

Most of my 'picky' snakes are happy to take it if it is warm enough to fool them into thinking it is alive. For the really finicky ones, DRY seems to help, too.

9. Annexa

Annexa Member

She showed interest in the small rat, and even bit it, so I left it inside of the cage for the night. In the morning, although it was still there the head was covered in snake slobber (yum xD), so I am thinking that perhaps it was too big for her. I'll be getting adult F/T mice to see if those are small enough for her.

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

well, sounds like the is at least interested. From the pic, I would guess large mouse, or practically a rat hopper/weanling.

11. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Ensure that your temps and humidity are good for her to digest properly. If it is too cold, they may regurge - sooner or later (sometimes days later) and that is another problem you want to avoid!

12. Annexa

Annexa Member

I got her to eat a mouse, she pooped on Sunday, it smelled bad Dx otherwise she's a healthy little ball python, can't wait for her to shed.

13. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

The snake poop does not really smell bad...not compared to the vomit (regurgitation). Are you sure it was poop? This does not sound quite right to me.

14. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If the snake was a bit constipated, it may have been holding on to it for a bit. That would result in it being a little more odorous.

15. Annexa

Annexa Member

Well, it didn't smell too bad, it just stank more than what I am used to, as I haven't ever had a snake before. I shall be taking her to a vet after I figure out where a good one is near me, etc. for a check-up. I am sure it was poop because it came out her back end, and I looked up 'healthy snake poop' to compare and it looked the same as the pictures that I found. She pooped again today, so I had to clean out her newspaper.

16. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

OK then. Hope you can get her to the vet soon for a checkup.

17. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Any update on this?

18. Annexa

Annexa Member

Not much, she has been fine, eating regularly as well as pooping fine. I've been unable to find a veterinarian near me, and now her right eye has fogged up like she's about to shed.

19. Annexa

Annexa Member

She's almost done shedding,there's just about 3 inches left on her tail, and one spot on her body. Her eye caps came off, so one less thing to worry about. :)

Darkbird likes this.
  20. Annexa

Annexa Member

Peanut has completely finished shedding, I cleaned out her tank to make sure there was no shed left, and scrubbed down her waterbowl with anti-bacterial dish soap. I've noticed that along her back, closer to the edge of her tail, she has some gold color. :D

TamJam and Darkbird like this.