This Disappears When Logged In

Babies Hatching

Discussion in 'Green Tree Pythons' started by BlackJack, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

That is a great picture and thanks for sharing! I can understand how you are proud. They sound quite healthy to me and hopes for the last 3. Do you already have plans for the children? Are you planning on keeping any yourself?

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Great picture of the proud mother and her baby!
    She won't try to eat it will she?
    Sounds like the hatchlings are healthy, good news on the weight of them also.
    So when will the hatchlings be able to eat?
    Good luck with the ones still in their eggs, hopefully they are just getting some strength before coming completely out!

3. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

We have not given up hope on the little ones still in the incubator, but one of them is very pale, and pigmentation is one of the last stages of development, so maybe he's too premature.
    We will start to offer them pinky mice in about 2-3 weeks, after their first shed. They all have a full belly of egg yolk for now. :)

I love that photo of Lantash with the baby, but when Lantash discovered the little one with her tongue, she coiled back very suddenly and seemed a bit stressed: so we ended the photo session abruptly. There's no way to know what she "thought" of her hatchling, but it's better to be safe than sorry.
    I have individual close-ups of all the hatched babies. Should I post them here or in a new thread?

4. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Very awesome Andrea. I must say it makes me want one more and more. I never knew that the females changed color to that blue. I wish it was that blue all the time.

5. BlackJack

Actually females tend to get a more intensive blue color with each pregnancy. We're expecting Lantash to change back to green, but I hope she'll retain a bit of her bluish tint. (I love it!)

Here are the close-ups of the 10 hatchlings that are out of the incubator. They all start to look alike after a while.
    Martin has them numbered: but I've named them all after Star Trek Deep Space 9 characters ;) He's worried that if I name them, I won't want to let them go.

Here is "Odo"
    395010272.jpg

Kira:
    395010293.jpg

Worf:
    395010294.jpg

Jadzia:
    395010295.jpg

Dukat: (my favorite, I think I might keep this one!)
    395010296.jpg

Ziyal:
    395026564.jpg

Martok:
    395010298.jpg

Garak:
    395010301.jpg

Bashir:
    395010305.jpg

Rom:
    395010534.jpg

"Gollum" and the other two premies all have their heads outside of the eggs. This is a good sign. Hopefully they'll be fully hatched tomorrow morning.

Attached Files:

6. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Wow, I love pictures of all snakes, but I think the babies are the best looking. Beautiful looking group of snakes you have there- one that you rightfully should be proud of. I am envious. Thank you so much for sharing.

7. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

Jadzia is my favorite. I love the extra coloration in her eye and the attitude she gives off.

8. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

I love their faces, they're so cool looking. :)

9. mld

All gorgeous but Dukat have some nice markings and the marking just over the eye. Very hard decision to choose just one.

10. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

I completely agree! Rom is also adorable with the symmetric markings. :)

11. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Beautiful animals, very cool!

12. KristenNC

KristenNC Elite Member

Awesome pictures. And I love the names you gave them. :D

13. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Rom is my favorite. Those markings look like little dog bones!

14. BlackJack

First shed

Worf just shed this evening!! A PERFECT one piece shed: 44cm long. :) He's early: all the books say the neonates will shed between 10 days and 3 weeks after hatching. Today is day 8!
    Some of the other babies are showing some activity, so we might find more sheds their boxes tomorrow.
    The pinky mice arrive on Wednesday, so we can start trying to feed them then.

15. mld

Re: First shed

Thats wonderful, you'll have to post pictures of their first feeding!

16. BlackJack

2 more perfect sheds: from Kira and Ziyal.
    I'll try to get some pics of the first feeding, if it doesn't stress them too much.
    (I'm sure you'll agree that the most important thing is that they all take their first pinkies well!)

17. mld

Of course, food first and foremost!
    I hope they all will accept their 1st pinky with plenty of gusto:D
    Good Luck with their 1st feeding, sending well wishes your way.

18. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Gosh just seeing all these pics and hearing about this is trully incredible! Good luck with the feedings. I am wondering...(and I am trully ignorant when it comes to these snakes) why are they so light colored when so young? Wouldn't they be easy prey being so bright?
    Thanks for sharing these incredible pics! :)

19. BlackJack

Good question! (One I asked too, when we got our first GTP)
    In a study by David Wilson et al. "The adaptive significanc of ontogenetic colour change in a tropical python" the researchers found that Green Tree Python color change actually helps protect them from predators in different phases of their lives.
    Juvenile GTPs spend most of their time close to the ground where they hunt for tadpoles, lizards and small rodents. The main predators of GTPs in the wild are black butcherbirds, rufous owls and a variety of diurnal raptors. All of these birds have the avian V-type eye and weak ultraviolet sensitivity. These birds also hunt by sight.
    The bright yellow and more rare red babies are actually almost invisible to these birds against the forest ground and areas where there are not many leaves.
    As GTPs get bigger, they move up higher into the rainforest interior and canopy where they hunt rodents near the ground or birds in the canopy. The color change actually reflects the changes in foraging behavior and the vulnerability of GTPs as they get older and larger.
    Pretty cool, I think!! :D

20. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

That's incredible! It's amazing how nature takes care of things. Thanks for answering my question. I love learning new things. :)