This Disappears When Logged In

Babies Hatching

Discussion in 'Green Tree Pythons' started by BlackJack, Feb 5, 2011.

1. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Our big girl "Lantash" successfully brooded 13 eggs. (I'll post the breeding process pics later.) 4 are completely hatched and installed in their individual boxes. The other 9 are pipped and taking their time...

Here is Lantash protecting her hatching babes:
    395001805.jpg

here the sticky bundle of hatchlings:
    395001804.jpg

on this pic, you can see the egg tooth quite clearly:
    395001802.jpg

And here's an adorable "twin pic": The baby in the back has markings just like the father, and the baby in the front has the continuous line just like the mother.
    395001803.jpg

In spite of all the excitement and activity, Martin managed to take some stunning pics. We are OVER THE MOON proud. This is our first attempt at breeding anything. Fingers crossed that the rest of the babies hatch and that they all survive.

Attached Files:

2. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

Your Lantash is gorgeous and the babies are adorable. Good luck with getting the rest to hatch, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I would be proud too, those are gorgeous little ones, Congratulations is in order!
    Twins, wow, thats incredible :D
    So with the Green Tree Pythons the mothers are protective of their eggs, did she stay with the eggs while incubating?
    Thanks so much for sharing your photos! Tissues anyone! drooling too much here!

4. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

CONGRATS!!!!, those babies are absolutely stunning.....Thanks for sharing:x

5. Boa

Boa Elite Member

Congrats, WOW those babies are just stunning and so cute.

6. Flint

Flint Elite Member

WOW!! They are gorgeous!!! Goodness this makes me want to try breeding someday haha. For now ill just drool at your pics

7. mld

You need tissues also, I'm sure a lot of people do with those pictures.

8. CannibalisticPixels

CannibalisticPixels Active Member

Oh my goodness! The babies are absolutely gorgeous! Good luck and keep us updated with lots of pics please! :3

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Awesome snake, awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing (gonna send us babies?)

10. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

They're so pretty and adorable! :)

11. BlackJack

Thanks for the wonderful replies everyone! :)
    @mld: Oh sorry, those were not really "twins": I just thought they had the same pose, so I called it a twin-pic. They each came out of their own egg.
    We opted for maternal incubation: That means she stayed coiled around the eggs in a hatchbox from laying to hatching: a total of 49 days.
    Once the babies started to hatch last night, we pulled her from the eggs, rinsed her off and put her back in her old terrarium where she could finally stretch out and drink. We offered her one small rat last night which she took greedily. We'll gradually increase her feedings until she's back to full strength.

We now have 8 fully-hatched and perched babies...:D the others are all still alive and partially out of the eggs. They'll stay in a plastic hatch box inside the incubator until they've absorbed the rest of their egg yolks and they're ready to come out.

More pics to come.

12. BlackJack

Here are the pics of the breeding process. Female "Lantash" (the bigger, bluer one) and male "Crichton" Here Lantash had turned hormonally blue, but we missed the "breeding window". Since they seemed to be enjoying eachother's company, we kept them together for the next 9 months.
    394374301.jpg

In the act: here she is more green again.
    394374300.jpg

snuggled:
    394374297.jpg

Lantash at ovulation: Hormonally blue again
    394374307.jpg

Pre-lay shed:
    394374305.jpg

checking out the egg-laying box:
    394374303.jpg

Here she has laid the eggs and coiled in a beehive form around them where they are protected from moisture. The terrarium was kept at proper temps and humidity and she was able to fine-tune the temperature of the eggs by vibrating her body. She stayed like this, not eating or drinking for 49 days. A lot of breeders opt for artificial incubation, so that the mother's reserves are not exhausted and they can breed her again immediately. Since we do not plan on breeding her again anytime soon, we decided to let her stay with the eggs.
    394784202.jpg

Attached Files:

13. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

WOW! What wonderful pictures!! I have never seen anything like that before! Congrats. Thanks for sharing this really great experience!
    :)

14. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

That is so cool and I am incredibly jealous! GTP and ATB I think are some of the most fascinating snakes!

15. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

Wow, mama and papa are both gorgeous! Can't wait to see more pictures of all the babies.

16. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Thank you for sharing! You really have beautiful kids and the pictures are amazing! We have missed your face around these parts:x.

17. mld

What a great mother to stay with her eggs for 49 day without eating or drinking! Incredible!

18. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

Beautiful!!!!!!!

19. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

Looking forward to more baby pics. :D Are they all still together or are they all separated?

20. BlackJack

10 babies have successfully hatched and are in their own individual boxes. Three are still in the incubator and have not yet left their eggs. It's possible that they may not make it. But time will tell.
    The good news is that an average hatchling weighs about 7-16 grams. Our babies weigh between 13.8 and 17.6 grams, except one very small hatchling that weighs 10.9g -- so they've already got some good reserves on them. Hopefully they will be good eaters like Mom.
    Here is a photo we took this morning that I think you'll like. It is Mama "Lantash" and her second hatchling.

395007706.jpg

Attached Files: