This Disappears When Logged In

AZ Herps Etc.

Discussion in 'Herp Photos' started by justor, Aug 3, 2013.

1. JoshuaJones

JoshuaJones Banned User

Justor, you've been holding out on me.lol I never check this subforum. Your lizard is, in fact, a whiptail. I'm not much of a lizard guy, so I couldn't tell you the exact species off the top of my head. Your snake, though, is not a cal king. It looks like one, I know, but it's actually a Longnose snake (Rhinocheilus lecontei). The lack of red means it's a pretty clean Clarus-phase specimen. On cal kings, the black markings will extend all the way to the ventral (belly) scales, creating a checkerboard pattern, and the eyes will lack the red iris of the longnose. Good stuff, though.:D

2. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Spadefoot, nice these guys don't come out much and are endangered in many areas. That is one toad I have yet to come across, lucky find :)

Long nose snakes are pretty cool :) another way to tell the difference is looking at the black bands, it seems like the black is rubbed off on the lower sides. Found one long ago and was shocked to find out it was not a King. I had never seen one before :)

Ya whiptails will get you that much needed exercise when you try to catch them, on a hot day, on a shale covered hill side, with lots of yucka plants... Just ouch... but I got him LOL

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013