This Disappears When Logged In

AZ Herps Etc.

Discussion in 'Herp Photos' started by justor, Aug 3, 2013.

1. justor

justor Elite Member

Hey guys, I haven't been around much lately (I still owe you a feeding video, Frank!), but thought I would share some cool pics I've taken over the past couple weeks here in Arizona. It's monsoon season and the herps and creepy-crawlies are in no short supply!

First up is a baby blue tailed skink I found running around the store at work. After chasing him around for a while I was finally able to catch him and set him free outside.
    BD5C783A-1504-4A2E-8D7C-C236476F013F-1369-0000021326EE671C_zps69028f05.jpg

Here is a nice big Colorado river toad I found right outside my front door.
    7D525AA4-7403-4390-950F-5490B9B28CBF-1369-000002131956CAA5_zpsbba5eacc.jpg

A male tarantula also right outside my front door. Don't know what species exactly, but its the same kind I usually find around here.
    971197CA-2E17-4288-8221-2E28D08A5757-1369-0000021311A77E6B_zpsb3a90480.jpg

Here we have some type of frog that I've never encountered before. I was really stoked about this guy.
    45E12109-1293-4867-9BB1-82353450D462-1369-00000213089C8261_zps9aa2bb22.jpg

These last two are from tonight, also right in my front patio (don't you wish you lived in Arizona?). A baby cal king, maybe two weeks old tops. It looked like it had just shed, probably for the first time. It was less than six inches long.
    8F903BAD-EFFE-47F7-89AD-F2F59DF0C1C0-1369-00000212FEACAEDF_zps777988c7.jpg

And a wolf spider with egg sacks!
    871DB04B-06B8-4136-8461-180A32827AEA-1369-00000212F8805C99_zps0d2abd40.jpg

2. lopez82

lopez82 Elite Member

Nice pics man!

3. Ieasa

Ieasa Elite Member

I live in AZ and I never see so much wildlife. I am a little thankful. The eight leggers and I need plenty of space from eachother. I get tons of little asdorted lizards because we have a pool. And enough **** crickets to feed all the retiles from this website. An occasional house spider or giant roach in the pool. But nothing cool like you. Wait, I did have a coyote in my front yard the other morning. I would love a skink, toad or non-venomous snake to visit.

4. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

Wowww you have some really neato wildlife up there! I need to spend more time in nature. I live in Colorado and I don't ever see nuthin' :p

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Did you really need to post the picture of the wolf spider? Now I can no longer pretend they don't live here! Not that it wasn't a nice photo just like the rest of them but seriously did you need to induce nightmares?

6. justor

justor Elite Member

Hahaha. They used to freak me out too, but I've gotten over it after seeing so many of them. I still get a little squimish when the egg sacks become actual baby spiders holding on to moms back though lol :-&.

Thank you!

Living in Phoenix it makes sense you have a harder time finding all the goodies lol. When I lived in the inner Tucson area I would occasionally see a house gecko or spiny lizard from time to time, but nothing special really. Now I live on the very, very farthest northern point in Tucson (Oro Valley). Just north of my house is the prestine wilderness of the Tortolita Mountains. And five years ago my whole neighborhood was part of that wilderness. The spiders are very common sights around here especially this time of year (there are also dozens of black widows that I can never get a good picture of). The toads are also plentiful, but only at night right after a heavy rain. I see coyotes almost daily lol, and there is a large pack of javalinas that roams through my neighborhood occasionally destroying everyones plants haha. If you've never seen javalina piglets in person I have to say they are the most adorable little things ever!

Yea you just gotta go find 'em lol. Colorado has some nice wildlife, though you may have to venture further than your backyard to find most of it.

7. Poison

Poison Elite Member

That first one looks more like a Whiptail not a skink. And that fourth one is a spadefoot toad.

Great pics :)

8. justor

justor Elite Member

Thanks, do whiptails have a bright blue tail? Because this guy did...

I think you're right. The head doesn't match with the skink lol. I'm not even sure if they're native to this area haha.

9. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

Yeah, I usually see some neat animals when I go fishing, especially when I have to hike to my fishing spots, but unfortunately I don't go fishing as much as I used to.

10. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

Thanks poison, I was just going to ask. Beautiful looking toad- I was curious. Not quite my feed vid lol but... that awesome cali king makes up for it. Do you see alot of kingsnakes by your house?

11. justor

justor Elite Member

No this is the first king (or any snake for that matter) that I've seen at this house. In fact it might actually be the first cal king I've ever seen in the wild. I've seen desert kings a lot and even mbk's and possibly some natural integrades, but I can't recall ever seeing a cal king.

12. lopez82

lopez82 Elite Member

I didnt even notice the pic of the tarantula, I love those things.

13. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

MBK's? That is awesome. I wish I could live somewhere where MBK were just out and about. I am jealous.

14. justor

justor Elite Member

They're not common, but I used to see one from time to time at the house I grew up in.

15. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Is this a king snake? I think it is an organ pipe snake but it maybe something else. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

16. lopez82

lopez82 Elite Member

Thalatte, I believe that that is a shovelnose snake.

17. Poison

Poison Elite Member

Agreed.

18. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Ah...ok thanks.

19. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Awesome stuff, Austin...next time I'm out there I need to drop in to Tucson for some photo ops.

20. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

All I see around the house are toads :( Lucky man Austin!