This Disappears When Logged In

Axolotls

Discussion in 'Salamanders & Newts' started by trever, Feb 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trever

trever Member

dose any one know anything about axolotls I have two have had them for about a year now so they are two years old now I was wondering if there are light I should have or just a normal fish tank light and what the water temp should b and what's the best way to keep it at a steady temp

2. cbbrown

cbbrown Active Member

I know a bit about axolotls since they are like tiger salamander larva. If you must have a light, have plenty of hides and plants real or fake to cover the axies so light doesn't bother the axolotls so much. I kept the water at a steady 68 degrees while in my basement before he changed into an adult.

3. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

You really shouldn't own any animals :(

4. CourtneyAnn

CourtneyAnn Elite Member

They prefer darkness, they can get very stressed if it is too bright in their tank. They also MUST have a temp BELOW 70 degrees. Usually above 60, though. :)

5. trever

trever Member

well I do u can help me or now

6. trever

trever Member

how do I keep it close to a stady temperature it keep up and down and I don't have a heater in the tank just a small filter

7. CourtneyAnn

CourtneyAnn Elite Member

If it is terribly low (low-mid 50s or lower), you can introduce an adjustable heater and keep it on the lowest setting and monitor it to make sure it's not too hot. If it's too high you can add an aquarium cooling device (chiller/cooler) which one would be based on how much cooler you need it to be. :)

Oh! Yeah, and be sure to use a digital temperature measuring device if you can (much more accurate). Some even have "too low"/"too high" alarms! :D

8. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

Why have you taken in so many animals you know nothing about?

9. cbbrown

cbbrown Active Member

With axies because of their frills it's best to have a sponge filter and do 25 percent water changes as needed. Over flow or currents from filters can stress them out.

10. Joff3005

Joff3005 New Member

I have no additional lights for my axies and keep them on the opposite side of the room from the window. They get a small amount of natural light and that is it.
    If your water temperature is going up and down so much then do you mind me asking how big your tank is for them? The larger the volume of water you have, the easier it is to keep the temperature stable. Axies like quite a bit of room to plod about :)

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

This thread is over a year old and the OP no longer comes to the site

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.