This Disappears When Logged In

Average Male Girth

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Cankywanky, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cankywanky

Cankywanky Member

What is the average girth of a male BP?
    Diameter please

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It's going to depend on the age of the snake and how much/often they are fed.

3. Cankywanky

Cankywanky Member

i mean for like a full grown one that is on a good feeding schedule

4. Merlin

You would be looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-4 inches for a full grown male.
    My 3 year old male is 40 inches and is about 2 1/2 inches in diameter. Of course he hasn't fed since november.

5. Cankywanky

Cankywanky Member

are there some ways to tell the difference between males and females from outer appearances?
    because at the pet store they have two ball pythons and they are both around 5 months old. One is a tiny bit smaller than the other and im wondering if that ones a male.
    Do the males ever extend their hemipenis out when handeling or is this only during courtship?

6. Merlin

Size doesn't meant anything. I have heard people talk about the length of the tail or the size of the anal spurs but the only sure way is probing them. Hatchlings can be "popped" to evert the hemipenes but at 5 months old thats too old to do that. And sometimes they will evert the hemipenes when they deficate but as far as just putting them out at random I have never seen it.

7. Amber

Amber Elite Member

My 2 year old male bp is 34 inches, and is about 3 inches wide. Although he isn't adult, I am not sure how much more he will grow. Can anyone tell me if his size now is good/ normal for a bp his age? He eats mostly every week. I tried to measure him today, he ate 2 days ago.

8. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Can you overfeed a BP?

9. Merlin

Yes. Often pythons in captivity become obese due to the owners love of seeing them eat. Some "powerfeed" with the intent of making a small snake become a big snake in the shortest amount of time.
    Just like with us it's not healthy!

10. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

That's like power feeding a kid to be a Sumo wrestler...doesn't matter that the kid doesn't ever wanna wrestle but now he's fat :( Sad, Sad, Sad...
    Jem

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.