This Disappears When Logged In

Aussie Meat Ants May Be Invasive Cane Toad's Achilles' Heel

Discussion in 'The Library' started by Rich, Mar 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Ecologists in Australia have discovered that cane toads are far more susceptible to being killed and eaten by meat ants than native frogs. Their research reveals a chink in the cane toad's armor that could help control the spread of this alien invasive species in tropical Australia.

Read Complete Article ...

Use this thread to discuss the article above. What are your thoughts about Aussie Meat Ants May Be Invasive Cane Toad's Achilles' Heel?

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

It will be interesting to see if they can use that in any way to help control the cane toads. I'm not sure how that would work, but I'm glad they are looking for local solutions.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It would only make sense that the canes would lack the resistance of the local frogs. After all they didn't evolve there and were never supposed to be there in the first place. At least they have found something that can slow them down!

4. JustJames76

JustJames76 Elite Member

GRRRRRRR.. I tried to open the article 5 times without success. These toads are causing problems here in Tampa, Florida (United States) as well. I worked with a woman who lost her dog to one. I agree it is wonderful that they are looking for local solutions to the toad problem. The part I fear is some idiot deciding to just import meat ants to the US to stop the growing toad problem. It seems like every time we bring in a foreign species we pay in spades. Fire ants anyone? How are we doing with those Africanized honeybees (killer bees)? Speaking of that (and completely off topic)... I wonder if the interbreeding of the African honeybee with other species (to improve honey production) interfered with their immune system and contributed to the growing honeybee crisis.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

though I can't help but point out that if Meat Ants were going to stop the cane toad, they would have done so by now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.