This Disappears When Logged In

Attitude Problem

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by Ipanda, Jun 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

Well, last Wednesday I finally got bit by my burm Bell. It was a bite and coil. Did everything by the book, still got bit, but hey when you play with snakes, your going to get bit eventually right? I've left her alone for the last few days so we could both recover from the ordeal.

The problem, Today when I went in the room, she struck at me through the glass while she was still in her cage (and I was about 4 feet from her cage) a little un-nerving, but ok... Left her alone for a few more hours then went to clean the room she is in, she struck the glass two more times.... Then I went in just a few minutes ago, and she went nuts striking the glass... Really un-nerving...

My temps are good Hot side is a 93 right now
    Cool side is at 80
    Humiditity is at 70% (washington state)
    She just had a good size bunny friday...

Not only am I worried because she could hurt herself striking the glass, Im a little worried for myself. Ive done some searches about burmese attitude problems and couldnt come up with anything... The major problem is that she is 12ft and im guessing around 60-70lbs and hooking her is about impossible.... I was wondering if someone out there had some advice they would share about big angry snakes.... Oh and its only me she is doing it to, and I havent played with any fuzzy critters for awhile.....

2. danreid27

danreid27 Elite Member

I would sell her or trade for a more docile one & start over again. If you can't trust it..whats the sense of more trouble? JMHO..Dan

3. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

Have you changed bath products? Sometimes the smallest change in smell can make a difference and any change could be unnerving for the snake.

4. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

The fact that she bit and coiled sounds like a feeding bite as opposed to a defensive or aggressive strike. I'd offer her another bunny or two. Maybe one isn't enough for her size anymore (?) Or she may be going through a growth spurt and need more calories. I find a full belly often gets them to take a break and mellow out, although I've never had a burm.
    My rainbow boa was a real biter until I increased her feeding amounts, then she really mellowed out and never bit me again.

5. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

Her last feed I up'd the size and quanity to two 7lb bunnies, and that was last thursday the day after I was bit

6. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

I don't think i'd trade or sell a animal I've had for awile, and am responsible for taking care of just because it bites, thats just pawning your problem off on someone else because you don't want to deal with it.

If it was a bite and hold It does sound like a feeding strike, And hopefuly once shes eating a fuller meal she'll stop it. However, I'm also curious, what other animals are in the same room as her enclosure?

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Anytime there is a sudden change in behavior, I would start looking for any signs of illness or possible injury.

8. danreid27

danreid27 Elite Member

I just hope it doesn't latch onto your face next time! You're a brave gal to risk it.

9. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I agree with Merlin. Something seems odd. Is it possible there was a problem with her last meal since she started this the day after she ate?

10. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

Well I have been racking my brain and cant figure out anything that would be wrong. Im chalking my bite up to the fact un be known to me my company had a rodent problem in their home, she smelled it, and I was the closest person to try and eat...
    Im pretty heart broken over her striking the glass at me, wether she bites or not, she is still my baby, and I love her, so if she doesnt stop, Im just going to have to take extreme precautions....

I was thinking about what you said, merlin and liz, and I dont think there is an injury, or a problem with the meal but she may not be feeling so hot after I had to use rubbing alcohol to get her off my hand (that was a far as my brain could think at the moment while remaining calm). And I remember drinking rubbling alcohol when I was a wee one and I had a gut ach like none other for about a week.... I talked to my vet about what to watch for with the rubbing alcohol her mouth, and watched her close right after it happened. I know for a fact that snakes are pretty smart, and Im sure she remembers who dosed her with the rubbing alcohol, seeming she is only doing this to me and is fine when my boyfriend or anyone else goes in the room... We will be taking her in for a check up, my boyfriend's next day off... I just have a weird gut instinct that its an issue with me vs. a health problem... But we are playing it safe anyways... I just can't find anyone who has delt with nasty large pythons and hasn't given up and had them put down...

Oh by the way she has a chinese water dragon in the cage below her

11. danreid27

danreid27 Elite Member

It truly is a crummy situation, I really hope it works out for the best for you. Stay safe. Dan

12. lizardgal06

lizardgal06 Elite Member

hi,
    I'm not sure where you live but there's a place in California that has huge snakes everywhere they have great knowledge. I used to go there a lot once I found out my ball python wasn't really the average ball python. That was a surprise. I was 16 so I didn't know that the patterns were completely different. The place is called prehistoric pets its in 714 area code. Look them up and maybe they might have some answers. I know it may be far to call but like you said she's your baby. One suggestion, I'm no expert, but is it possible she may be in heat and she smelt you're a female and, well, got territorial. I don't know this for sure, but it may be something to consider. Or, of course, I just made newbie mistake on snakes. Anyways, try that place; they're really great.

13. dadstoys2

dadstoys2 Member

I know I am gonna make waves on this......
    But this is a big part of why people who keep reptiles need to be sure they know what they are getting into before they by any large constrictor. The fact are that you can and will at some point be on the wrong side of it teeth....it happens and if you are not as smart as Ipanda was and react smart, then you may get killed by your pet. Ipanda good job! I took a nice bite from a 14ft burm...really sucked! LOL! We presently own 5 burms and a retic.
    Dan the markets is filled with unwanted burms. Cant just unload it cause she got bit. This is why people need to know what they are getting into. I am by no means saying that people should not ever sell an animal I work trades and make deals to get what I want.
    The snake is 12ft and been fine before...something changed. And hook training is easiest when done from young but can still be done.
    Hook training is simply the presence of a tap on the head to signify that it is not feeding time. There are some good write ups on the net. Do a search on the web.
    Also a spray bottle with listerene will make it release.
    Good job Ipanda
    ~Rich

14. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

This is why I have her, she was left with mommy when a kid moved away from home and didnt want her anymore, and mommy was NOT ok with this...

And I would never consider trading her, or selling her... The animals I have are rescues, and I would never never sell a reptile, or pass something thats acting up onto anyone else with out knowing they have WAY more experience than me when it comes to large nasty snake... And they would have to want a large nasty snake...

Thank you for the kudos dadstoys... Taking a bite from a large burm does really suck... But you play with fire youll get burnt, and if you play with snakes, youll get bit lol.... I hope before long Im right back in the saddle with her tho... I did look up some about the hook training, and I think im going to try it, but where do you get a hook that big? Ive looked around on some herp supply sites and they seem kind of flimsy for a 65 lb snake...

15. Merlin

Ipanda it doesn't have to be a hook. I have a friend who trained all of his big guys using a simple stick with wad of cloth on the end. Sort of like a giant q-tip.
    Just something to touch the snake on the head to gauge their attitude and let them know it isn't food coming.

16. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

Right on Merlin... Thanks for the good Idea!

17. dadstoys2

dadstoys2 Member

I dont know if I would put a cloth around the end but you have the right idea. The hook by no means is to lift a 65lb burm with. All it is for is to signal the snake.
    Your doing great....just watch for those teeth...lmao
    ~Rich

18. Merlin

LOL The "cloth" is is more a wad about the size of a tennis ball and is very firmly attached to the stick. Just enough to pad it so that you don't accidently hurt the snake if you tap it a bit too hard.

19. danreid27

danreid27 Elite Member

This is a great site. We all learn from each others experiences. Cheers y'all, Dan

20. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

This is by far a great site, I do have to second that.... Ive learned more here than anywhere else, Rich thank you so much for your reassurance, It means quite a bit. My boyfriend suggested we just glue a tennis ball to the end of one of our walking sticks so I think we will start training with that...

Thanks everyone... You guys ROCK!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.