This Disappears When Logged In

Attaching Vaporizer to Cage

Discussion in 'Humidity' started by Dragoness, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

The pipe would only be a foot long or so, I'll definitely test the temps before installing. Already planned on making it removable for cleaning, (and getting some industrial sized pipe cleaner to help with it.). I plan to use a 1" or 1.5" PVC with screen protector over top end to keep lizard/bugs/substrate out of the pipe.

I'm thinking to install it underneath to take advantage of the laws of physics. Heat rises. Humidifying with warm vapor, it is most efficient to do so from the bottom up, rather than the top down. I'll have to run a few tests, and figure out what would work best.

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Dragoness, it`s very easy to install under the tank, (I take it there`s a wooden floor) you just need to drill a hole a little larger than the diameter of the pipe, put something underneath the devise to bring it up to within 2 or 3 inches below the height of the floor, then just a short length of pipe rising to approx 2" above the substrate. you can always fix an artificial plant and a rock or something around it, then the animal won`t get too close. Mine works very well, and of course he`s a very big and heavy boy!
    P.S. It shouldn`t make too much difference to the temps, maybe a couple of degrees lower.

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I planned to do. I'll pick up pipes, probably monday if I have any part of it off.

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

well I spent the other night trying to jury rig this, and because I'm doing it under the cage, it was a bit awkward, but I did triumph.

The bottom level of the cage has a layer of hardware cloth, and on top of that, a layer of wood. The hardware cloth didn't need drilling (in fact, i left it there, one more layer of protection between lizard and vaporizer.) The vaporizer itself is under the cage with a funnel channeling the vapor up to the hole in the floor. On inside, is a plastic tube about 6 inches long, and about 3.5 inches diameter, with another layer of hardware cloth at the top (1/4 inch) to keep the lizard out of it. I took a temp of the steam where it enters the cage, and it's a safe 93 degrees, which dissipates very quickly the farther away you get. I haven't spotted the lizard near it yet, and it's bringing up the humidity quite nicely without me having to mist as much, though I do need to get some foam strip insulation to seal the doors a little better - I think some of it is leaking out in the 1/2 inch gap.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Aha! Pics of the way I installed my humidifier (warm steam vaporizer)

I cut a hole in the wood layer on bottom of tank, and used cable ties to hold a plastic tube (recycled juice bottle) in place. Wire mesh on the end of the juice bottle keeps the lizard from getting too close to the vaporizer, and possibly burning herself.

Second pic is from underneath the cage - vaporizer sits beneath, and a funnel directs steam up into the cage.

Attached Files:

6. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Very nicely done Dragoness :)

I don't remember if you've put pics up of the entire enclosure but I would love to see it :D

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Dragoness, that looks excellent, very similar to how I`ve done mine, I`d also like to see photos of the whole tank, I can`t see there being any problems with your dragon getting too close, by the time the steams travelled the short distance up the pipe it won't be hot enough to burn...also you`ve put it in an "out of the way" place, great job!

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The only thing that I would do differently is to run a pipe from the vaporizer to your outlet vent. The way you have it now you are going to be letting a lot of the moisture just accumulate on the outside bottom of the cage and not going into the enclosure. Eventually that moisture may build up and keep the bottom of the cage constantly wet. This could result in, at worst, the floor rotting out, and at best, causing it to be dripping onto YOUR floor.

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

there is a funnel that leads it right up to the vent - The only moisture under there is droplets on the hardware cloth. The vaporizer sits in a large under-bed-storage tupperware type thing (easier to slide across the carpet) and it catches the drops that run off the inside of the funnel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.