This Disappears When Logged In

Attaching Vaporizer to Cage

Discussion in 'Humidity' started by Dragoness, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I just received my Vicks Warm Mist vaporizer (Got a steal of a deal on it!) and now I need to figure out how to attach it to the cage for my CWD. It's not going in the cage - no room for it in there, and don't want to risk a burn.

Would it be practical, since it's producing warm steam, to place it on top of the cage, with a pipe/hose running to the ceiling? or more practical to place it under the cage (cage is about a foot off the floor) and run a pipe up through one of the walls?

I'm thinking that since heat rises, under the cage would be the best bet.... would also be more accessible to me.

and opinions/advice/experience?

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Under the cage. 100% If you can run it up through the floor, even better.

3. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I agree, under is the best bet

4. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

I was looking at those in the store last night, was wondering what type of hose, and how to hook it up, I would be using two of them, one for each chameleon. Would you put it on a timer or let it run continuously?

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Definitely on a timer, probably run twice a day or so.

I doubt I can get it through the floor unless I can get a small hose, I'll have to see what's available at the hardware store next visit, or what I have around here, which probably isn't much.

6. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Through the side as close to the bottom of the enclosure would be okay too.

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Sides are both doors - I brainstormed a little and figured out a way to rig it in the bottom. All I need is a funnel, some pipe (PVC, hopefully) a pipe-bracket, and a small piece of screen.

8. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Great :)
    Post some pics when it's done please (might give me some ideas;))

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

It'll be a while - I get paid friday, but I'll try to see what I can do.

10. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

Yes, I'd love to see pics too when your done,I'll be interested in how it works for you, so I can have a plan. :)

11. angrykitten

angrykitten Elite Member

I would be interested to the pictures too, as I have a Vick's Humidifier which I kept under the tank of my ball python but it doesn't make any difference to the humidity. It sounds like you will be channeling the vapor into the cage. I need to do that too...or find another way to keep the humidity right without having to mist every hour or so.

12. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

yes, I will be running a pipe up through the floor of her cage so the vapor goes directly into it.

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Coming through the bottom of the cage may not be the best approach.
    The steam coming out of the vaporizer is very hot! What most people do is to take a PVC pipe construction shaped somewhat like a candy cane and put the long leg of the pipe attached to the vaporizer and then the pipe bends around and the short end of the pipe vents into the top of the enclosure.

14. schlegelbagel

By the time it gets from the floor up to the top, its not hot any more. I can hold my hand over a vaporizer, just 2 feet above and you can't feel a thing.

15. Merlin

Yes but being channeled thru a pipe it may retain heat more.

16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

My humidifier is under the floor, you can use any pipe of the right diameter, I use the aquarium pipes that come with the filters, but you can buy spare pieces of pipe from most aquarium stores I think, and very cheap, attache with strong tape, or some aquarium sealant. Very easy, good luck!

17. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

will the pipe mildew quickly?

18. schlegelbagel

I don't think it will, and as long as you make it able to pull out, its not hard to clean.

19. Merlin

Make it in sections so that you can disassemble it.

20. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I`ve never had a problem with the warm -air humidifier, and it`s been in place a good few years, so long as you clean it regularly, although I`m not sure if this is the same thing as a "Vaporizer"? These are cheap to buy,although I use a 400watt model,which is quite expensive to run. I do also have a cold-air model which runs through the night, and this is only 35W., and would be suitable for a small enclosure,( maybe 5x3x3ft.) or so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.