This Disappears When Logged In

Attaching UVB to Inside of Screen/tank

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by OEW, Mar 31, 2013.

1. OEW

OEW Elite Member

I wasn't quite sure if this thread could go here, but anyways...

Tomorrow I'm getting a bigger tank for my bearded dragon. It's always bothered me to have the UVB sitting on top of the tank since it's definitely being filtered a lot through the screen. I've tried searching the forum for this as I'm sure it's probably been asked before, but haven't come up with anything. SO, what are some suggestions for attaching the fixture inside the tank securely, either to the glass or to the screen? I'm having a hard time coming up with something. It makes me nervous to have it in there because I'm afraid it'll fall or something. I'd like for it to not be something that's likely to be permanent, since I'll be building a plywood enclosure in the future and would like to be able to take it out and mount it in there. Thanks for any suggestions!

2. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

Is it a strip light or compact?

3. OEW

OEW Elite Member

Oh, oops, it's a strip!

4. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

No worries lol. What I would say would be if your screen top is big enough(I'm guessing 24") you can put it to the top and cut 4 small holes...2 on each end of the strip light. I dunno its kind of hard to describe. But then you can run a ziptie through one hole go around the strip light fixture, then up through the second hole...then pull it tight. Then do the same on the other end, and maybe one on the middle of the strip light so it doesnt sag.

I think this would work really well, just hard to describe. If you like the idea, but dont understand, I can draw up what I'm thinking lol.

5. DragonsKeepers

DragonsKeepers Subscribed User Premium Member

I used plastic twist ties.

6. OEW

OEW Elite Member

I think I get what you're saying. I had thought of zip ties but hadn't been able to develop the idea further for some reason lol. I think that'll work, plus it'll be a way to make sure the bulb doesn't fall out since it doesn't have any clips like some fixtures do, unlikely but better to be safe than sorry imo. Lol.

Thanks!