This Disappears When Logged In

ATB Feeding Question

Discussion in 'Emerald Tree Boa/Arboreal Boas' started by MoskiWoski, Jul 5, 2013.

1. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

I have recently moved up in meal size for my ATB. She is about 8 months old. I moved her up to meals that are either the same diameter as her body or very slightly larger. They say keep them on a 7 day schedule until they're a year old. The problem is, I've noticed she's not nearly as active between feedings and sometimes doesn't really act hungry. She usually strikes in about 3 seconds, but tonight it took her about a minute. She really didn't seem too interested. Then she held it in her coils for about 15 minutes before eating.

The question is, should I back down her meal size a little, or maybe switch to a 10 day feeding schedule? I don't want to be stuffing her or force feeding her. I think she actually struck tonight because she was getting annoyed.

Thank you for any opinions and advise.

Casey

2. Releep

Releep Elite Member

Are you feeding f/t or pre killed. If your feeding f/t try warming the prey a little more. My ATB won't always eat if i don't get the prey warm enough.

3. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

It's frozen. And usually it's pretty warm. I don't want to burn her little mouth, so I may tend to under heat rather than over heat. I've just noticed less activity between meals lately, since I went to larger prey. I think I'm going to give her a little more time to digest, watch her behavior, see how that works. I appreciate your comment. Everything helps.

4. Releep

Releep Elite Member

I have to get my feeders real warm, they are warm to the touch when I feed mine. If I can get my camera to record a video of her feeding I'll post a link when I feed her next.

5. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

When my girl is hungry, the strike is instant. But since I've upped the size, she just doesn't seem interested at the 7 day mark. Before, I could tell she was hungry. She'd be cruising the cage looking for a meal. I think I've just been over stuffing her.

6. Releep

Releep Elite Member

It's possible that the prey is a little too big how big of a bulge does she have after she eats? I want to say that my ATB was about 9 months old when I moved her over to a 14 day feeding schedule, I haven't noticed any bad effects. Just make sure that she is not distended after she eats. My girl is 96 grams and i feed her 7-9 gram pinkie rats or fuzzy mice, About 8~9% of her body weight.

7. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

She's probably about 40 grams. Last time I weighed her she was 32. She's just now 8 months. The last one I fed her was 6.9 grams and put the slightest bulge in her. I've read no bigger than 1-1/4 of the largest part of their body. The ones I choose are pretty much her diameter, but I'm starting to think that is a little too big. But seriously, it doesn't really bulge her at all, if so, very slightly. I have to look real close to see where the mouse is in her body. If I go on the 8-9%, that would be less than a 4 gram meal. Does this sound right? That would be going back to pinkies. Those wouldn't be noticeable at all inside of her.

8. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

The sooner you can get her off of pinkies the better. The nutritional content of pinkies are sub-par to older rodents due to developed bone density and increased lactaid in the stomach. If have a hard time discerning the bulge, you are not feeding her prey that is too big.

9. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

That's what I thought too. And I was so excited when she graduated to fuzzies. I'd hate to go back to the pink little blobs. Haha. We talked last night and settled some of my concerns. I'm going to do what you said and feed her on her schedule, not mine. Let her show me when she's hungry.

Thanks DHI

10. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

Jarich wrote out the whole study on nutritional content regarding pinkies vs older prey a while ago for me, I am trying to find it for you- it was very interesting. My rosy boa was on pinkies when she was younger. When she got bigger I started giving her rat pinkies because that is what I had available at the time. After reading Jarich's info, I switched her over to hoppers (same size prey) and she almost doubled in size within two months.

11. justor

justor Elite Member

She is simply still satisfied from her last meal. 7 day schedules are really more for the convenience of the keeper than the necessity of the snake. When I feed my snake she becomes quite sedentary for a few days while she digests the meal. When she starts roaming around the cage I know she is hungry and that is when I feed her again. It's usually between 7-10 days after the previous meal, but it depends on multiple factors.

12. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

Wow!!! I feel like I'd rather go with more mature mice than rat pinkies. I think you sent me something like that in the past. If you find it again, I'll bookmark it this time. I thought I did, but I can't seem to find it.

13. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

Yeah, me and DHI discussed that yesterday. I'm going to start waiting until she's showing signs of hunting before I offer her food again. I only have 2 snakes, so there's really no schedule I need to keep. I have plenty of food on hand, so when they start hunting, I'll start thawing.

Also Justor, I just got a Coastal!!!

14. Releep

Releep Elite Member

I would love to see that study I would have to rework my feeding for some of my snakes but if it's better for them then its worth it.

15. justor

justor Elite Member

That's awesome! Are there pictures somewhere that I missed?

16. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

No, I haven't posted any. He's still getting settled. But here's a quick shot I took the day I got him.

He's a Baylin Tiger, from Mike Curtin.

Attached Files:

17. justor

justor Elite Member

Dang that's one awesome coastal! I'm a little jealous haha. Mike Curtin produces some really cool stuff.

18. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

Thanks!! I am beyond satisfied!! Great temperament, and pounded a 30 gram weenling last night, instantly.

Mike is an awesome guy. Super helpful and very personable. I would recommend him to anyone. In fact, I had such a good experience dealing with him, if I ever get another snake, I'm gonna call him and check his stock before I even decide what I want. No joke.