This Disappears When Logged In

At 2,500 Pounds And 43 Feet, Prehistoric Snake Is Largest On Record

Discussion in 'The Library' started by Rich, Feb 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The largest snake the world has ever known -- as long as a school bus and as heavy as a small car -- ruled tropical ecosystems only 6 million years after the demise of the fearsome Tyrannosaurus rex, according to a new discovery published in the journal Nature.

Read Complete Article ...

Use this thread to discuss the article above. What are your thoughts about At 2,500 Pounds And 43 Feet, Prehistoric Snake Is Largest On Record?

2. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Wow, the pounds is what is hard for me to believe! That is a lot of snake! I don't see how it would be able to carry it's own weight being so large. How could it not just sit there and wait for death.

3. fightingfeeders

fightingfeeders Elite Member

Snakes are amazing creatures. I really find it amazing that such a large creature could have even existed. I wouldn't want to meet it!

4. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The weight of an object in water and on land are very different. The muscle structure on that snake would also be drastically different.Imagine a boa constrictor from this period and then amplify its size to meet that of one from that era. Everything would have increased, including the muscle. ;)

5. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

I would so meet it!!!! Through really really really thick glass!!!! Can you imagine seeing a creature that massive? 1.25 tons? Although I don't understand how they can guess that is ate these things.

"The scientists also found many skeletons of giant turtles and extinct primitive crocodile relatives that likely were eaten by the snake, he said."

Just because it was near the snake skeleton doesn't necessarily mean that the snake ate it. Of course it would make sense.

I didn't realize that heat had such an effect on the size of the snake.
    Yes, I didn't think about the muscle increasing also. WOW think of how strong it is!!!

6. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

My son Billy and I just read the article. Amazing! Billy wants to know if they could possibly extract some DNA samples and could they reconstruct the animal just like they did in Jurassic Park!:rolleyes:

I said NO! Do you want a snake THAT SIZE coming through the campground, looking for it's next meal, YOU!:eek: He changed his mind, but still thought it would be cool:cool:

7. kcftlaud08

kcftlaud08 Elite Member

Wow. Wow. That's incredible. I bet it was a beautiful display of power and control. Can you imagine? I also found it intriguing that they only estimate an average daily temperature of 10F less than millions of years ago. It makes me ponder the true impact of "global warming".

8. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Wow what if they really did try and succeed...and reconstructed one?

9. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

Not in my backyard!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.