This Disappears When Logged In

Assistance Finding a Humidifier That Will Work for Me?

Discussion in 'Humidity' started by SpidaFly, Mar 29, 2012.

1. SpidaFly

SpidaFly Elite Member

Hi, I need some assistance finding a humidifier that can work on my lil guy's enclosure.

Here's a picture of the enclosure.

That enclosure is 6' long, 3.5' tall, 2.5' deep. You can see circular vent holes in the top back, and some air escapes around/between the sliding glass doors. As you can see there is no table space around the enclosure itself, and that thing is *HEAVY*, so it's not going anywhere until I move out of this house :) As a result, I'm looking for a humidifier that I can set ON TOP of the enclosure, which means it needs to be fairly quiet and not vibrate horribly as to not freak my reptile out.

I want the humidity in his enclosure to be in the 60-70% range. That substrate and a mister bottle is all that's been keeping it above 50%, but I'm going to be replacing the majority of that substrate with river rocks and flagstone soon because my lil guy seems to think some substrate pieces are bugs. (I live Phoenix AZ, so humidity is hard to come by here.)

I have a zoomed hygrostat/thermostat combo that I can hook the humidifier into, so the humidifier itself will just be left on, and it doesn't need a hygrostat of its own.

I DO need the humidifier to have a pipe though, because I'll have to drill a hole in the back of the enclosure for the humid air to enter. It would also be really cool if it had an INTAKE pipe, so I could pipe already heated air from the enclosure through the humidifier and back into the enclosure.

Any suggestions?

PS. can someone recommend a GOOD RELIABLE probe hygrometer? I bought a couple off amazon, and they both seem to be ****. They disagree with each other, disagree with the analogue dials, and disagree with my hygrostat.

2. justor

justor Elite Member

I would put a humidifier right inside the enclosure. It will be very difficult to get that humidity into the enclosure from above.
    My Vicks ultrasonic has a dial with about ten different settings so you can adjust it to what you need. It does make some noise but its not too disturbing.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Something that will help you out big time before looking at a humidifier is installing a weatherstrip in the crack between the sliding doors.

I'm not sure why having the humidifier above would be difficult to pump below into the enclosure.
    Austin can you clarify that. I don't use one but to me it would seem easy to do. Much easier than pumping it from down below.

4. rudyolph

rudyolph Member

Yeah I agree...pumping it from above will be a non-issue. Get an ultrasonic, modify the top so you can pump it through a 1/2-3/4 inch tube and put it a timer to run a couple times a day. Water lasts a long time and it will get your humidity up for sure. If you run for like 20-30 minutes the entire tank will fill with smokey-like vapor and then will clear up after a few minutes of being off.

Putting a weather strip right smack in the middle of view would kill the aesthetics of that setup. I would definite not do that...

5. justor

justor Elite Member

The one I use shoots a jet of moisture up from the unit which goes about 2-3 feet up before falling down. I would imagine trying to capture that stream and diverting it in the opposite direction would result in most of the moisture condensing in the pipe and dripping into the enclosure as liquid water.

Or at least that was what I thought until I grabbed a few scrap pieces of PVC and some joints and actually tested it to see if it works... It does. Remarkably well actually. DOH!

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I use a cool air humidifier, you`ll need to modify the top so a rubber pipe will fit into the outlet piece, then into the enclosure. You would be better having the unit at the side and bottom (outside), the mist will travel along for a metre or so. I get mine on ebay, very cheap to buy and run.
    If you want to look on ebay and give me the link I`ll see if the unit is suitable for modification, as they all have slightly different outlets.
    I can put a few photos up of mine and how I did it if you`re interested?

7. rudyolph

rudyolph Member

Yeah you definitely get a little condensation but not enough to cause any issues. That just falls back down into the humidifier anyhow. That allows you to keep the humidifier out of the actual cage which is safer overall, aesthetically more appealing, and gives your little guys so extra room that they didn't have before. Win-Win-Winning!

8. rudyolph

rudyolph Member

Target has a pretty cheap model that you can easily modify by cutting a small square piece of plexy glass with a proper size hole drilled into it for your tubing. You just get some silicone sealant and seal the plexy glass right onto the opening of the humidifer. You get a nice leak-proof seal that forces all the vapor mist output thru the tube into the cage. I just bought a $2 piece of 5 ft rubber tubing from Lowes and it works great.

The humidifier I used is typically found in the baby section of Target. It is made by Safety 1st and costs $30. Just remove the white directional thing and do what I stated above with plexy glass and you are set.

Safety 1st Ultrasonic 360 Degree Humidifier : Target

9. kriminaal

I've heard that this can cause some humidifiers to shut down.

10. SpidaFly

SpidaFly Elite Member

Alright, this is what I'm trying right now. I built this real quick last night:

img1935hw.jpg

I'll plug it into the hygrostat/thermostat unit I have. Can't figure out how I'm going to test it though, seeing as how the humidity fluctuates so much in the enclosure anyway. I was trying to run it and had it set up top of his enclosure, but the noise was keeping him awake so I shut it down and I'll test it out later.

11. kriminaal

It's still early for me on this holiday. But what exactly am I looking at?