This Disappears When Logged In

Asian Vine Snake Emergency

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by ReptileGurl, Jun 24, 2012.

1. ReptileGurl

ReptileGurl Member

I've had this Asian Vine Snake for about two weeks now, and I'm really concerned for her. She isn't eating her green anole, and she just went through a pretty bad shed (as in it wouldn't come off). It isn't the humidity levels, but I think the fact that I just got her the day she started shedding, which set off a bad balance.

Anyways, my main concern is she isn't eating. I got her to eat two anoles on her third day with me and now nothing. However, I read these guys eat four to three times a week.

I moved her to a new tub in order to help with humidity, and I used coco husk, but her nose is now brown from dipping herself into it or something. I'm not sure if I want to stress her by getting it cleaned up, since she hates being handled.

Also, I'm not sure this has to do with anything, but she is aggressive. I have to honestly treat her like a dangerous snake when handling (snake hooks, tubes, etc)

I'm more use to python species and corn snakes, but from everything I've read about Asian Vines, I feel I should be worried. I decided to ask you guys.

Should I take her to the vet? Any advice?

ADD:
    I forgot to mention her tail! The end of her tail is dead. I think she must of gotten it caught in the cage door with the breeder.

2. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

For starters, you mentioned she took two anoles the third day you had her. How much time passed before you tried to feed her again? How big is she? Does she have plenty of hides and cover, or is she always in view? What is her activity level like in her enclosure?
    Also, can you give a brief run-down of your temps, humidity, enclosure size etc?

3. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Not to mention the fact that if she has had one bad shed, shemay have had others which could be a contributing factor with her dead section of tail...if she had old shed on her tail, she may have had some on from a previous shed and it killed that section. You should absolutely take her to a good reptile vet. I think Asian vine snakes are mostly wild caught, at the very best first or second generation captive bred, so parasites could be a factor. Good l uck and keep us posted.

4. ReptileGurl

ReptileGurl Member

Thanks for the replies.

Anyways, she hasn't eaten in two weeks. I offered her another anole around two days after then everyday since. I even have been leaving it in the cage with her, since that is how I got her to eat the last two. I figured she just might be refusing to eat in front of me. ALso, she is really big. I haven't measured her, but I'd say she is over four feet long at least.

Her cage level activity is pretty low, and she is always in view if I choose to look at her, but that is because I removed the leaves from her last cage. The anoles kept hiding in them, so I figured if I made it so she could find it easily, she would eat it.

My temperature for my room is normally 80 to 85 and her humidity levels I keep at 75%. I have a heating pad under the tank, since the move the glass tank, I no longer do any heating lamps.

Also, does anyone have any cage recommendations? I want to get her a bigger enclosure, as in really big, since I feel she deserves it. I am keeping her in a large 35 gallon tub right now meant for my arboreal snakes. I use to keep her in a glass arboreal tank around the same size, but I felt that the humidity was to low, so I just did an emergency transfer.

Her eye has some shedding stuck to it. Could that be messing with her vision? I know Asian Vine Snakes to have super vision for hunting, but she hasn't been able to bite me yet, and trust me, she tries. I tried removing it, but she got herself into fighting mess, so I didn't push her anymore than I felt necessary.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Unless she was underweight when you got her, she does nto need to eat that often. Once, maybe twice a week.

Give her leaves back - Without them, she ma be feeling exposed and vulnerable.

Leave her alone for a week, and let her settle in. Don't handle. Don't do anything aside from necessary maintenance. Try offering food in 5 days or so. Trust me, snakes can go quite a while without food. She will not starve in a few weeks.

6. ReptileGurl

ReptileGurl Member

Even Asian Vine Snakes? I heard they have a super fast metabolism, unlike most snakes, and need more...?

I'll put the leaves back in. Thanks.

7. ReptileGurl

ReptileGurl Member

UPDATE:

I took my girl to the vet this morning, and I'm picking her up at 8:00 P.M. She is getting a feeding tube, antibiotics and a short little procedure to fix her tail. We will see what the vet says about her. I think she is going to be okay.

On a better note, her feeder anole is happy, ha ha. I decided I'm going to make him my pet, since he has earned it.
    In fact, I found him sun bathing under one of my red lamps this morning. He got out when I was packing up my asian vine. It was actually quite adorable, ha ha. His little blue-lined eyes were closed and when I picked up, I could practically hear him saying, "YO! What are you doin? I was resting here! Do I bother you when you nap?"

8. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Once you start naming your anoles they may become hard to fed to your snakes.

9. mele

mele Elite Member

He will make a cute pet. But I agree once you start naming them it gets hard. I use to have a bunch of pet rats 10 years ago before I switched to F/T