This Disappears When Logged In

Arizona Kingsnake Too Much Water?

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by MouseMurderer, Sep 13, 2013.

1. MouseMurderer

MouseMurderer Member

okay so i was reading today and i came across an article that said that kingsnakes need a little water dish or it could cause respiratory problems. This freaked me out and made me decide to make an account on here and ask since I've been lurking this form for awhile now.

How long have you owned the animal? 3-3.5 months
    What is the enclosure size? 30 gallon
    What type of substrate are you using (shavings, bark, paper towel, etc.)? Aspen
    What type of lighting are you using and at what distance(s) are they from the animal? (UVB and Basking) I've got a heating pad underneath
    What are the temperatures within the enclosure and how are they being measured? 76-82F give or take
    What is the humidity within the enclosure and how is it being measured? I don't measure, do I need to start on that asap?
    What are you feeding (or attempting to feed) the animal? frozen fuzzy mice
    What exactly are you concerned about? Is the water dish too big? do i need to start measuring the humidity?

20130913_152619.jpg 20130913_152712.jpg
    20130913_152721.jpg 20130913_152605.jpg

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  2. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

A fresh pot of water, that you have there, is just fine. My only concern is lack of hides, no where to hide and feel safe. This could cause more problems than worrying about your current humidity. On humidity, has it shed sense you have had it? Was it a full clean shed?

3. MouseMurderer

MouseMurderer Member

yeah he shed and it was pretty much one full piece, and i read that was good but i wanted to make sure since i saw it could cause respiratory problems. He has his tree to hide in, it's kind of hard to see, but should i gather maybe a wood hide or something else for hiding?

4. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Anything he can get into that is dark and easy to clean. For YEARS I used (still do) broken clay flower pots as hides. They can be tricky about pesticides so know where they came from and that nothing is still on them. I boil them for an hour to kill anything and dissolve anything that may dissolve out of them.

5. MouseMurderer

MouseMurderer Member

Awesome very reassuring and helpful, thanks!